LS-6 cam specs

Krambo

01 model is 204 211 .525 .525, 116 LSA and 2 degrees retarded

02+ model is a 204 218 .551 .555, 117.5 LSA and 2 degrees retarded

I ran an 01 model in my Z71. It idles like stock, but made much more power up high. The 02 model should make more power. The only thing I don't like about these cams is the 2 degrees retard. I'd use an adjustable timing chain and advance either one 4 degrees to end up at +2. That would help the low end.

01 model is 204 211 .525 .525, 116 LSA and 2 degrees retarded

02+ model is a 204 218 .551 .555, 117.5 LSA and 2 degrees retarded

I ran an 01 model in my Z71. It idles like stock, but made much more power up high. The 02 model should make more power. The only thing I don't like about these cams is the 2 degrees retard. I'd use an adjustable timing chain and advance either one 4 degrees to end up at +2. That would help the low end.

I had the 01 cam in my Yukon. I don't recommend it either, I installed it +4 as well. It take off nicely but wouldn't really kick in till around 3000 plus rpms.

Hey, you two above, or anybody who knows cams, what do you think about the cam shown in the link? And your opinion on the addt'l parts over to the right side? Please. I am going to get if I can find someone with the knowledge to help me install, providing you guys say it's a good one. Also, if anyone has any links on how to do this stuff, I'd appreciate direction. I've never done a cam install, but that's never stopped me and I'm not afraid to do. I figure if I had everything off to do a s-chgr install, may as well take a couple things more off and go for it.

CraneCams

-Ben

Also, if anyone has any links on how to do this stuff, I'd appreciate direction. I've never done a cam install, but that's never stopped me and I'm not afaid to do.

Sorry I don’t have a link for a step-by-step walk through for a cam install, but here is a LINK to a nifty tool set for your first big install… :thumbs:

Good luck Ben! :jester:

But really good luck on that install, digging into that motor is going to be a big job for a first timer... :eek:

:cheers:

Darric,

LOL...that would probably cover all the tools I need, you think? :D

But, in all seriousness, tools aren't the problem, just good 'ol fashined know how. I could do everything, bar any special tools, to take this truck down to nothing with the amount of tools I have, pnuematics and everything. That's why I want to do, need to justify their existence - more.

The truck cam install is very similar to the cars. Look here for good how to info: http://www.ls1howto.com

I dont recommend any Crane cams. They have lazy lobe profiles. This will hurt your low end and only make power on the top. That particular crane isn't really any larger than the stock cam we have. Look at Comp Cams catalog:

http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Catalogs...-03/172-217.pdf

Page 32. Look at the Xtreme RPM section, second cam. 54-412-11 This would keep your low end and really boost your upper rpms power. A good daily driver cam. If you go larger, you'll sacrifice your low end for upper rpm power. You'll also need to spin it higher.

Also Page 32: Xtreme RPM High Lift, first cam: 54-424-11 Almost the same cam as above. This one has more aggressive cam lobes. This one would make a little more power while assisting low end, but increases valve train noise and shortens valve train life.

BTW - I have an extra Comp cams 54-412-11 - 212 / 218 .529 lift 114 LSA with comp 915 valve springs if anyone wants it.

Thanks BigTex, sent you a PM. What did you think of the 1.8 rockers that were on the page? They come with diff pushrods as well.

Also, do I have to degree this cam with some type of special tools, or do I even have to?

-Ben

• 1 month later...

I know you guys have the specs for the 01 and 02 model, What about the 03 or 04 Model in the latest version of the LS 6 ? Are they the same cam as the old ones or a new grind and lift ? Also anyone that has done this has it made a big difference vs the stock setup ? Also how is the gas millage ?

Dave

Archived