Crank Shaft Pulley Pinning

Krambo

Man alive you guys weren't exaggerating on the difficulting of removing / installing that bolt.

Was trying to do this mod tonight, but can't get the bolt out.

Is it safe to let your "jam bar' rast on the aluminum support bracket under the powersteering pump?

I'm working it and don't want to break anything.

The how to is great, but a newbie like me would like to see a pic of "jam' methods to stop the crank from turning.

Is there any special tool that can be purchased or borrowed to stop the crank from spinning? How would a dealer accomplish this?

Yes it is difficult to break the bolt loose. Im a pretty decent sized guy and I even had trouble. You can use the power steering / alternator bracket to wedge something to keep the damper from spinning. I used a 1/2' extension and wedged it in there. Then a 1/2' breaker bar with a cheater bar and give er hell

Some tips:

Do the bolt removal after a good warm up session, the heat seems to help (I've done about a half dozen crank pulley swaps).

Get a long bar, fish it through the pulley and spin the crank until the bar rests on the floor/ground. Resting it on the Alt/PS bracket is fine as well.

Leverage is your friend! Use the longest breaker bar you can find. Using a standard 1/2" ratchet is going to be tough.

Many have success with a heavy duty impact gun. If you have access to one, may be worth a try.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...