New Truck with "Clunk" in drive train

06MAX

diehardchevy....

Do yo have your transfer case in Auto mode?

That's one thing I have not done yet was cycle throw the 4x4 modes.

Also, I checked the tranny fluid and it's at where it needs to be while hot and in Park on level ground.

Could my problem be a very tight torque converter?

Or just possible break in issue and could go away after a few hundred miles?

Wishful thinking huh...... I don't want to put my truck in for service  :nonod:

no....when i went to manhattan kansas last weekend i had the cruise set at 70. and the damn front diff was grindin and howlin like a son of a bitch. so just to see what happens i hit auto 4WD....it went away. put it back in 2HI and it came back.

GM ashured me that it was a "customer satisfaction" issue. and not a reliablitity thing. But trust me if you could hear this thing....you wouldnt think it was a satisfaction issue.

as far as cycling through the modes...i put mine into 4LO a month ago and had a very hard time getting it out. when it finally came out...there was a bang so loud i almost pissed myself. im gonna call the dealer Friday and see if there is any update on gm fixing mine. im supposed to leave for texas next week and sure as shit i am not drivin down the interstate again with a front diff makin these kinda noises

GM ashured me that it was a "customer satisfaction" issue.

How did you manage that?

The dealer told me that they found nothing wrong with the truck and no one heard or felt the "clunck"....

GM ashured me that it was a "customer satisfaction" issue.

How did you manage that?

The dealer told me that they found nothing wrong with the truck and no one heard or felt the "clunck"....

they gave me some "service claim" thing from gm. explaning why the dealer wasnt authorized to start working on the truck for this problem. if i had a scanner i would scan it for all to see.

The dealer never seems to find anything wrong..definition of an "occasional" problem.

i just got back from columbia missouri in mine...put about 800 miles on it and the thing was whining the whole way. the dealer is gonna hear from me in the morning.

Ended up managing around 18 MPG though..i was impressed with that!

Sorry group, I’ve been busy pulling the motor out of my Olds. No updates really on the truck. It has 850 miles now and the clunk has only happened once since I got it back from the dealer. I'll post what the dealer did to diagnose my problem but I’m starting a log as to how often it’s happened since the service on Friday March 31st.

• 1 month later...

2000 miles on the truck now and the problem still exists.

Parked on level gound when you start her up and the truck fires it jolts the truck backwards.

It will happen four times in a weeks period.

My truck feels like it wants to roll backwards when the engine actually fires. It doesn't happen every time but when it does happen it is very noticeable.

Here's what the dealer did at 600 miles....

Road test and ran diagnostics. No error messages returned from diagnostics test all numbers are correct. Truck has all the latest up-dates.

We need a GM tech to log onto GM's site to gain access to the information in the URL listed below.

http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?S...+1796287&evc=sm

Document ID# 1796287

In a nut shell....

After a cold soak this slight movement is due to the residual tranmission fluid in the clutch packs that creates a partial apply in start up. This also might be accompanied by a "Clunk" noise.

Goes on to say to use the parking brake as per Owner's Manual.

This effects 3T40, 4L60, 4L60E, 4L65E, 4L80E, 4L85E, 4T40E, 4T45E, 4T60, 4T60E, 4T65E. 4T80E, 5L40E, 5L50E, 6L80, AF225, AF235,LCT1000, M74.

Hope this helps anyone interested.

• 1 month later...

My 06 V-max does the same thing, so far it's only done it a couple of times. I guess I've just dismissed it as a quark with the truck, but with only 650 miles on the truck I'm not to worried yet.

I really think no matter what make or model of truck we buy there is always going to be something, even the high end luxory cars have their problems. I also agree though that we should expect a superior product for the money we spend, but that is also open to broad interpretation.

One thing I always remind myself. I'm buying a pickup-truck, which by design is a working vehicle. I'm just thankful for the advancement and inovations that I have in my truck today. Just think of the truck your father or grand father drove. I'm sure in their day cruise control, FM radio, and automatic transmissions were the geatest things ever. I remember have to manually lock the front hubs on my dads truck to engage the 4WD. Now we have push buton 4WD, XM, etc., etc.

When us guys really think about it "We are the Kings of the Road, when were driving our trucks" :thumbs:

• 3 months later...

After a cold soak this slight movement is due to the residual tranmission fluid in the clutch packs that creates a partial apply in start up. This also might be accompanied by a "Clunk" noise

Truck now has 6200 miles on it and this "Clunk" noise does not happen as often.

• 3 years later...

So just an update on my 06MAX Crew 4x4

Tranny started slipping in OD at 20k. Dealership flashed computer issue went away.

Transfer case also has had issues with grinding noise when in 4x4 drive.

So now at 40K tranny is slipping again in OD even worse then before. From a stop feels like torque converter is not locking rmps go up to 3k then the truck starts moving. Tranny will not shift manually from 1 -2 if I go to 3 it slams into gear.

When coasting truck drags like its towing a loaded semi truck. The feeling is like break drag.....

Transfer case does not lock in 4x4 low only 4x4 high and it feels awful when in 4x4 high on turns like it's on dry pavement.

Mileage has dropped from 14.8 around town to 12.3.

Glad I extended the warranty... WTF

This is my daily driver... I don't tow or plow with this truck just go back an fourth to work with it.

Trucks going back to the dealer tomorrow. This should be interesting

Warranty on both. Sounds like the is shot for sure. I am not intimate with those transfer cases in the 4x4 trucks but have it on good authority the internal shift fork fingers are weeney. Time to exercise the warranty.

Mr. P.