New Truck with "Clunk" in drive train

06MAX

Truck has 200 miles on it and it's starting to bother me. What needs to be done to rid the "clunk" sound. This "clunk" happens when go from Park to D but not all the time and sometimes after you put the truck in Park and lift you foot off the break, the truck rolls slightly forward then stops with the "cluck" sound.

It's bummin' me out and taking the fun out of having a "new" truck.

Yeah my AWD SS does it too, I think everyone's SS does, slop in the differentials I think. I've checked and it certainly is not the drivelines or transfer case.

Mr. P.

ps - welcome to the forum :chevy:

I am sure that this has been discussed a ton in the past, you will have to use the search function to find the discussions. Most here agree that the total cost of operation works out to about the same, on 87 octane the truck pulls out timing and delivers less mileage, on 91-93 octane the truck runs with maximum available timing and mileage improves enough to justify the expense of the premium fuel. Consensus here is to run the premium, you will also have the intended performance of the truck as well. Also, a very wise investment is to have the truck professionally tuned (about $200-300) and that will give you quite a bit more power and a considerable increase in mileage, enough to justify the the price of the tune over 3-4 years of operation.

Mr. P.

06MAX,

it is possible you are not using your parking brake properly when parking on an incline.

When parking, while applying the brakes, you need to set the parking brake, then shift to Park. This will put the weight of your truck against the rear brakes, not the transmisions "Parking Pawl".

When you go to leave in your truck, (before you pull the transmission out Park) you need to push the brake pedal down, then release the parking brake, then pull the transmission out of Park.

Click HERE and read the description for "Parking Pawl".

Let me know if this helps. :dunno:

Thanks for the replies,

The truck is parked on level ground so no need to use the parking brake. But that was great process of elimination. Good job thinking of that one.....

It's either "SLACK" or the yokes, doesn't happen all the time but still brand new?

Dealer put 87 octane in my truck it's getting 14.9 miles to the gallon rigth now.

Granted I having brought the RMP's beyond 3200 so I'm sure that will change after I hammer it a few times.

Did I mention that this is a 4x4 model?

Also, what do you think about the "ride control" feature? What do those shocks cost to replace?...lol

I need help guys....

Getting ready to leaving from work, I start my truck and once it fires I hear the "clunk" sound and the truck jumps forward.... WTF

This is the second time now this has happen in Park and on level ground.

It feels like the truck is still in gear when starting the truck. Going back to the dealer to ask what the heck is going on.....

No one else has heard or felt this with their truck?

I need help guys....

Getting ready to leaving from work, I start my truck and once it fires I hear the "clunk" sound and the truck jumps forward.... WTF

This is the second time now this has happen in Park and on level ground.

It feels like the truck is still in gear when starting the truck. Going back to the dealer to ask what the heck is going on.....

No one else has heard or felt this with their truck?

Wow no clue what it could be but it doesn't sound good at all. I hope they can fix your problem. My dad has an 04 crewbac half ton and has had my issues with the trans and the t-case. He took it in and they said there was nothing wrong with it yet he knew there was so he went to take the service manager for a drive and the t-case blew up in the lot and threw parts and fluid all over right infront of the dealer. They fixed that and it recently blew 9 fuses and was running on only 4 cylinders :sigh: needless to say he must have a short in the wiring somewhere causing all of this which could explain the t-case acting up. His is going back as a lemon in a couple weeks once all the paper work is settled. I just hope yours isn't another "wonderfull GM product".

I'll see what the service department says today and let the dealership know that I still need to fill out my GM survey....

Thanks for the info misterp, stealthSS, 06VHO and Jonmalibuss. I will keep this topic open to keep you all posted. Thanks for helping out the newbie...

What a bummer this is turning out to be....

I'll see what the service department says today and let the dealership know that I still need to fill out my GM survey....

Thanks for the info misterp, stealthSS, 06VHO and Jonmalibuss. I will keep this topic open to keep you all posted. Thanks for helping out the newbie...

What a bummer this is turning out to be....

i have a problem in my front diff. everyonce in awhile right after i start mine and start to go if i let off the gas the front will dive like im doin 70 in first gear. it goes away after a few minutes. but i have a constant whine comin from the front diff too. i have been told from the dealer that gm knows about my problem and they are tryin to figure out a way to fix it.

diehardchevy....

Do yo have your transfer case in Auto mode?

That's one thing I have not done yet was cycle throw the 4x4 modes.

Also, I checked the tranny fluid and it's at where it needs to be while hot and in Park on level ground.

Could my problem be a very tight torque converter?

Or just possible break in issue and could go away after a few hundred miles?

Wishful thinking huh...... I don't want to put my truck in for service :nonod: