Spray In Bedliner

Aspentaylor

I havent got around to getting my new SS sprayed yet, but the truck I traded in was a Dakota R/T, and I had the Line-X... I loved it... It always looked good... I threw my Dirt bike in it every Sunday, then pressure washed it to clean it... Looked perfect, and couldnt tell of any damage.... I'm going back to the Line-X, just whenever I get a chance...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

without reading this whole post, yes im lazy. im not sponsor or dealer for rhino liner but i will say. the SS we got in had a rhino liner and the bed was totally fawked up. it was winkled and everything and the liner never cracked or anything. deff worht the money

I'm sure I could crush the bed and the Line-X would be basically fine as well. I know for a fact you can dent it and it will stay conformed to the area. Looks are far superior to even the samples rhino supplies that the dealers can't match.

It would be good if the manufacturers would just coat the beds from the factory. I think Nissan is the only one to step up to that plate. Yeah it would put a dent in the aftermarket but so what. Until that time I'll stay with the product used in the pentagon rebuild.

I am obviously biased towards Line-X. But I will shoot you straight if you want tecnical comparisons between most of the companies on the planet. You will generally pay a little more for Line-X than the other companies but their are numerous reasons why that is the case.

If you go with the color match you should try and find a dealer that is applying Line-X Extra. It's a topcoat that has Kevlar in it. It is guaranteed to never fade. The product was invented by Dupont. It just came out and there aren't a ton of dealers using it yet. Here is a good write up about the Extra on a Dealers website. It's definetely the talk of the industry right now. No one else can sell the product except Line-X.

See if your local Line-X dealer has the SS stencil. If so he can stencil the Logo in your bed.

ss.jpg

I am obviously biased towards Line-X. But I will shoot you straight if you want tecnical comparisons between most of the companies on the planet. You will generally pay a little more for Line-X than the other companies but their are numerous reasons why that is the case.

If you go with the color match you should try and find a dealer that is applying Line-X Extra. It's a topcoat that has Kevlar in it. It is guaranteed to never fade. The product was invented by Dupont. It just came out and there aren't a ton of dealers using it yet. Here is a good write up about the Extra on a Dealers website. It's definetely the talk of the industry right now. No one else can sell the product except Line-X.

See if your local Line-X dealer has the SS stencil. If so he can stencil the Logo in your bed.

ss.jpg

Sweet! I like that stencil. Can you send me that comparison please? Email is [email protected] Thanks!!!

I am going to post a couple links to a Line-X store in Texas. He has a great description between Line-X and the Polyurethane bedliners (Rhino, Speedliner, Scorpion, Reflex, Vortex, all the ones you can buy out of the back of a magazine) on the market. Line-X is a mixture of Polyurethane and Polyurea. He explains much better than I can why it's better and the tecnical reasons to back up the statements that Line-X makes.

There are also pictures of what a typical Line-X job looks like and a typical Polyurethane job looks like. I have some real horror pictures of guys trucks that were sprayed by Polyurethane products that I can post if you want to see them.

Granted some of it has to do with the person that applies the product. I will agree with that. But you can only do so much with the material you are given. If it has characteristics that make it a less than perfect end product there is nothing the applicator can do to make it turn out the way the majority of the customers in the U.S. expect. Drips runs and uneven thicknesses are all very common characteristics of a 100% Polyurethane product. But it is way cheaper to buy the material and the equipment to spray Polyurethane. That is why there are so many little companies out there spraying the 100% Polyurethane material. That is also the reason they are generally cheaper than Line-X. Price is the only thing they have to try and compete with the Polyurethane/Polyurea companies that exist.

http://www.linexfortworthtexas.com/technical.htm

Make sure you click on the Product link at the bottom to see the difference and to learn even more about the product.

I try to be unbiased when I talk about competitors products compared to Line-X. Sometimes it's difficult. But everything that I post is factual and I post statistics and pictures to back them up.

Thanks Scott!

s_melchi's link is to my shop in Fort Worth.

LINE-X and Rhino differ quite a bit. The biggest difference is that LINE-X contains polyurea and Rhino does not. Polyurea enhances the bedliner’s properties: 1. LINE-X's temperature tolerance is 250 degrees and Rhino's is 175. As the temperature of the bed approaches the temp tolerance, it loses its strength. 2. Polyurea keeps moisture out of the solution thus making a more dense and solid liner. Less moisture also means better adhesion. 3. Polyurea also makes for a tougher liner. The tear strength of LINE-X is 304 pounds per linear inch (pli). Rhino is 145 pli. 4. Polyurea sets up very fast, that's one reason why LINE-X goes on with heat and high pressure. LINE-X dries in about 4 seconds, so you get an even application throughout the bed and it follows the contours of the bed very nicely. Rhino takes a minute or so to even gel, an hour or so to dry. Before it gels, gravity can pull the liner from the top ridges in to the low valleys. It does not follow the contours as nicely as LINE-X. Rhino’s Tuff Stuff goes on with a cold/low pressure application system and thus has that “cottage cheese” or “rain on the windshield” look. LINE-X’s heat/high pressure system gives it a very nice finished and more consistently applied texture, it’s sort of like an orange peel. A heat/high pressure system also provides superior adhesion to the truck's bed. The LINE-X dealer can vary the final texture from smooth to very rough. 5. Polyurea makes the liner more chemical resistant, especially to organic oils and solvents.

LINE-X is the ONLY brand that offers a written nationwide lifetime warranty. Rhino’s warranty is only with the dealer that sprayed it.

Let's compare. Here's brand new Rhino with a UV topcoat:

Rhinotailgate.jpg

Here's LINE-X (not from my shop though):

tailgate1.jpg

Here's LINE-X with black LINE-X Xtra:

xtra10small.jpg

Here's a LINE-X exact non-fading color match:

red1.jpg

Man you are everywhere!! I should have just emailed you and had you give them the scoop. This guy is the tecnical GURU when it comes to giving the stats on the different bedliner products on the market. He has forgotten more about the competition than I know. If you guys have tecnical questions now we have the industry expert as far as I am concerned explaining things. Truckster you have the floor. I am going to take a seat.

Hey I am in the process of putting my website together. I want it to be very thorough on the comparison between the different liners. Can you hook me up? I know you have posted tons of info over the years. I need to use your knowledge to help fill in the holes in my knowledge. If you don't care I may steal your technical page off your site or maybe if you can point me in the right direction for the info to put my own page together.

Hey I am in the process of putting my website together. I want it to be very thorough on the comparison between the different liners. Can you hook me up? I know you have posted tons of info over the years. I need to use your knowledge to help fill in the holes in my knowledge. If you don't care I may steal your technical page off your site or maybe if you can point me in the right direction for the info to put my own page together.

I did a lot of research to come up with that short review. You might want to spend some time Google searching polyurethane and polyurea. Read everything you can. You'll come up with some questions for which to further Google search. That's a good place to start. I'm sure happy to help you anyway I can!

I did a lot of research to come up with that short review. You might want to spend some time Google searching polyurethane and polyurea. Read everything you can. You'll come up with some questions for which to further Google search. That's a good place to start. I'm sure happy to help you anyway I can!

Thanks! I appreciate everyones help! Gotta love the SS forum!

• 3 weeks later...

Since I didnt see anyone else mention it I'll add my two cents worth... Line-X is the only spray on liner being used by the US Government. Navy is testing it extensivley and has already begun using it top side of some subs. The US Gov found buildings sparyed with LINE-X can with stand a full frontal explosion without colapsing or possibly hurting those inside. They have tested several other brands but have not found a single one which can perform like LINE-X.

Here is the Navys reasons for choosing LINE-X

http://www.line-x.ca/linex/navy.html

Here is a couple of the US Governments uses for it

http://www.line-x.ca/linex/military.html

I believe that the Canadian Government has began using it. In fact LINE-X has renamed its product PAXCON for use other than Truck beds... Here is a link to a video shot by a local tv crew...

http://www.line-x.ca/linex/Videos/fox5.MPG

Check the internet and you should be able to find the raw video footage of the governments tests.

Hope this helps. In my opinion there is no other spray on that will ever touch my SS!!!!!!

Archived