My 90mm DBW Radix J-Tube conversion

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now in reality, I know we don't have any of these up and running, but will this allow the radix to flow more air? (might sound dumb) But I am wondering if this will allow a radix to support more air into a larger Cube engine?

Now in reality, I know we don't have any of these up and running, but will this allow the radix to flow more air?  (might sound dumb) But I am wondering if this will allow a radix to support more air into a larger Cube engine?

I think the MP112 blower and intercooler will probably still be limitations. I'm not sure anyone is claiming yet that this new setup will flow more air into the manifold/engine via the blower, just that being less restrictive it lowers IAT's and allows more timing for more power. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong... :crazy:

Nonetheless I WANT ONE! :chevy:

Now in reality, I know we don't have any of these up and running, but will this allow the radix to flow more air?  (might sound dumb) But I am wondering if this will allow a radix to support more air into a larger Cube engine?

I think the MP112 blower and intercooler will probably still be limitations. I'm not sure anyone is claiming yet that this new setup will flow more air into the manifold/engine via the blower, just that being less restrictive it lowers IAT's and allows more timing for more power. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong... :crazy:

it increases VE, takes away alot of inlet restriction, which is the real restriction btw, of course the MP112 will have its limit, but no one is there yet that I've seen.

it increases VE, takes away alot of inlet restriction, which is the real restriction btw, of course the MP112 will have its limit, but no one is there yet that I've seen.

The L' guys would argue that I'm sure, since they have had the Eaton 112 much longer than we have. If Apton can port it, maybe you have more - Brian checked in to that a long time ago.

The L' guys would argue that I'm sure, since they have had the Eaton 112 much longer than we have. If Apton can port it, maybe you have more - Brian checked in to that a long time ago.

two different beasts Ben. The MP112(ala' Radix) is 20% more efficient than the Ford/Eaton venture straight out of the box. So while what the L guy's say is the truth, it also doesn't exactly relate to this conversation as they will send their housings out to Apten(for example) to increase its efficiency before we can even start to talk about them as equal units.

Also, what I said above IS the truth, as those statements are from Jerry Magnuson himself, paraphrazed by me :thumbs:

It seems that in spite of Magnuson's past claims, no one has ever been able to get anywhere near 10 PSI boost on a 408 plus CID Gen III stroker using the MP112. It is possible that a larger TB will reduce pumping losses somewhat, but do you really expect a big increase in boost and airflow at the manifold?

I'm open minded, and looking forward to seeing results. Keep in mind though that other types of blowers easily produce over 50 percent more boost on a 6.0 than a Radix can, even using the stock TB. I still hold that the MP112 has its limitations. I do not think the TB is ultimately the "real restriction" as you phrase it.

Please don't get me wrong. I have a Radix and think a Roots/Eaton type blower offers a lot of advantages. I just haven't yet seen anyone making claims of significantly improved boost due to the 90 mm TB mod. Again, it seems most have made reference to lower IAT's due to pumping air through a bigger opening.

But, let's see what happens... :chevy:

It seems that in spite of Magnuson's past claims, noone has ever been able to get anywhere near 10 PSI boost on a 408 plus CID Gen III stroker using the MP112. It is possible that a larger TB will reduce pumping losses somewhat, but do you really expect a big increase in boost and airflow at the manifold?

I'm open minded, and looking forward to seeing results. Keep in mind though that other types of blowers easily produce over 50 percent more boost on a 6.0 than a Radix can, even using the stock TB. I still hold that the MP112 has its limitations.

Please don't get me wrong. I have a Radix and think a Roots/Eaton type blower offers a lot of advantages. I just haven't yet seen anyone making claims of significantly improved boost due to the 90 mm TB mod. Again, it seems most have made reference to lower IAT's due to pumping air through a bigger opening.

But, let's see what happens...  :chevy:

what do you mean by pumping losses? curious what your take on that is

I'm just thinking the engine and blower turning at a given speed may be working a little harder drawing air through a smaller opening, creating a bit more drag on the engine, as well as more frictional heat.

Many Radix users have shied away from the 2.7 pulley due to excessively high IAT's. The bigger TB mod may make its use more feasible, which would definitely result in higher boost levels.

Again, I think there will be definite advantages to this mod. Just not sure the bigger opening alone is going to create a lot more aiflow to the engine in a FI application, other things being equal.

I'm just thinking the engine and blower turning at a given speed may be working a little harder drawing air through a smaller opening, creating more drag on the engine, as well as more frictional heat.

Many Radix users have shied away from the 2.7 pulley due to excessively high IAT's. The bigger TB mod may make its use more feasible, which would definitely result in higher boost levels.

Again, I think there will be definite advantages to this mod. Just not sure the bigger opening alone is going to create a lot more aiflow to the engine in a FI application, other things being equal.

So if we define it as: pumping losses caused by the vacuum on the intake manifold will decrease the engines efficiency. Then yes, there is a measurable decrease in intake vacuum using the 90mm TB.

So if we define it as: pumping losses caused by the vacuum on the intake manifold will decrease the engines efficiency. Then yes, there is a measurable decrease in intake vacuum using the 90mm TB.

Yes and I guess I am speculating that pumping losses occur under boost as well as under vacuum.

Please keep us posted on your results. I think this mod with some changes in other variables (timing, pulley size) could yield some nice results! :thumbs:

i heard somewhere along the lines of 25 rwhp and 50 rear torque :dunno: (obviously with proper tuning) - def. worth the money esp. if your into or running-out of actual "bolt-on's.... :dunno: just my 2 cents...

thanks moregrip - for the speedy reply (sorry mine wasnt so "speedy" ive been working an insane amount of hours the past two weeks) - 6.0 when i get a sec i will PM you back I PROMISE (once again, sorry its taking so long)

two different beasts Ben. The MP112(ala' Radix) is 20% more efficient than the Ford/Eaton venture straight out of the box. So while what the L guy's say is the truth, it also doesn't exactly relate to this conversation as they will send their housings out to Apten(for example) to increase its efficiency before we can even start to talk about them as equal units.

Also, what I said above IS the truth, as those statements are from Jerry Magnuson himself, paraphrazed by me :thumbs:

Yes, slightly different systems, but the same internal turning pieces. They also see boost numbers no GM truck motor will. I have heard as much as 16lbs of boost, not sure if I believe it, but 14lbs is fairly common with the Ford motor. Ours will not be able to compare.

So, I'm a skeptic. I had the Radix and took it through a few personal tests. Although I did not have what you guys had. I would like to hear whether or not guys doing this mod have lost any boost at all. I would guess a little loss. You will definitely be able to make more power with the same boost, but the system is limited by the motor it sits on. It just doesn't allow the building of boost as the Ford one would. You would need to hit 24000rpm, guessing, to hit 14lbs of boost and you know that would be impossible just by the pulley combinations alone. If a company made different size crank pulleys - at least you would be more capable there.

I applaud what you guys have done. The simple fact is, getting it to do more will require some more tricks. Tricks because it is already maxed the normal way and heat continues to be the killing part.

Yes, slightly different systems, but the same internal turning pieces. They also see boost numbers no GM truck motor will. I have heard as much as 16lbs of boost, not sure if I believe it, but 14lbs is fairly common with the Ford motor. Ours will not be able to compare.

So, I'm a skeptic. I had the Radix and took it through a few personal tests. Although I did not have what you guys had. I would like to hear whether or not guys doing this mod have lost any boost at all. I would guess a little loss. You will definitely be able to make more power with the same boost, but the system is limited by the motor it sits on. It just doesn't allow the building of boost as the Ford one would. You would need to hit 24000rpm, guessing, to hit 14lbs of boost and you know that would be impossible just by the pulley combinations alone. If a company made different size crank pulleys - at least you would be more capable there.

I applaud what you guys have done. The simple fact is, getting it to do more will require some more tricks. Tricks because it is already maxed the normal way and heat continues to be the killing part.

BlownChevy saw a 3/4-1 lb increase in boost after the 90mm swap, no other changes. Again, increased VE.

Archived