My 90mm DBW Radix J-Tube conversion

Why so skeptical? If Jerry Magnuson himself said the Radix will do 10lbs of boost on a 408 would you believe him?

I don't mean to show disrespect to Mr. Magnuson, Brian or anyone else. I just know that manufacturer/dealer claims and reality can be two different things and concrete results as evidence are very helpful.

I didn't mean to start a p...ing match here. As I have said before, I think the Radix is a great product and when I get some money aside I intend to do the 90mm TB mod and make it even better.

However, you can open up the intake tract as much as you want and I don't think you'll get to a streetable 14 PSI on a 6.0 or 10 PSI on a 408 with the MP112. I would love to be proven wrong but I have never seen any evidence to substantiate it.

I just don't like exaggerated and unlikely claims to go unchallenged in a forum many rely on for technical assistance. Maybe i should leave it to Ben as he is much more knowledgeable than I am, and a moderator.

I really do appreciate what you guys have done here with the research and development on the J-tube and all. I can't thank you enough; I can't wait to try it. Please keep up the good work. You guys do rock!

Now I promise - I'll shut the f..k up...

All the best. :chevy:

It's cool, we have to have both sides of the coin first. Now that we do, why don't we look ahead. I can't do anything about the 10psi on a 408, but I may be able to do something about 14psi on a 6L. Rest assured I am not going through all this trouble for nothing. That said, neither am I going through all this trouble to prove a point or anyone wrong.

Just a Hot Rodder sharing what little I know with my bros.

If I was building a 6L for max boost I would start with an LS2 or equivalently spec'd forged Short Block :cheers: This would get you your 14lbs of boost if the right components where used.

Since I want my setup street safe, I'd venture to guess that with my stock dished pistons and 73.5cc combustion chamber'd heads I will see in the neighborhood of 8-12lbs of boost from my current setup using the MP112(radix). If I could get 12lbs of boost out of my low compression setup, would you then accept that 14lbs of boost is achievable out of the previously mentioned setup?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
one minute I'm energized to answer all your questions, and then I'm like Shit, I can't type. Why so skeptical? If Jerry Magnuson himself said the Radix will do 10lbs of boost on a 408 would you believe him?

I'm not so interested in whether or not it can do it, but can it do it and still remain somewhat effecient. I'm sure on a 408 on some stock heads, not normally seen on a 408, it can be done. I just want to know the specifics of how, or if, it has been done. I would need proof - personally. Seems a job more suited for the coming blower.

I realize the cam would need to be somewhat small for a stroker.

maybe you will be better served to look at it this way.

If you personally had a Radix system, what things would you do to make it more efficient? or what things can you think of(even if not available) that would increase it's output?

I don't have a doubt that the Radix can produce 14lbs of boost, but it would have to be proven on a GM motor. That part will be close to impossible, even on the one motor you speak of. I don't think it will matter that much in that department, personally. Other systems hit that no problem, but with much higher cfm flowing systems.

How much cfm was gained from the 90mm mod? Has there been any actual testing? How much more cfm is predicted to come from any future "stuff"?

To get boost numbers like that, I'm curious what is the Magnuson guess as to how many rpms it will have to turn? I would be more interested in more power from less boost. Lower the IAT like you have and maybe you'll get somewhere - further.

You can throw theories at this all day long. But until the rubber meets the road, it's all speculation, theory, phrases from the man himself, and hopes. Results quiet the nay-sayers, nothing else. Great improvements have been made and hope you guys continue. Maybe not so many will be ditching the Radix mp112 and going with the newer system when it is released, if you do.

Trust me, if I still had it, I'd be doing everything that came along in lock step.

So....what is next? Or is it some kind of super duper, secret, never done before technology?

maybe you will be better served to look at it this way.

If you personally had a Radix system, what things would you do to make it more efficient? or what things can you think of(even if not available) that would increase it's output?

I was starting to concentrate more on lowering the IATs. I had seen what my truck did with the 2.75" and the 2.90". With the 2.75" and shifting at 6200, I was spinning the blower at 17,472 rpms and with the 2.90" pulley I was spinning it at 16,569 rpms. The downside to that was it gained about 1.5-2lbs of boost, but my gtech times decreased from the increased IATs. I got more power going back to the 2.9, suffering a little boost loss and able to increase the timing a little. I also had 9.6:1CR, from 77cc boost heads, stgII type. You could feel the bog from the heat soak.

I was just weeks away from getting a JDM supercooler or powercooler and plumbing it in before I spun the cam bearings.

I had to shift that high to get the sweet spot of the cam, but did eventually come down a little - pretty small cam too.

That is why I say that for the 408 theory, you will nearly have to have about a stock flowing head, and a puny cam - by stroker standards anyway. The heads I have now would just suck the life out of a Radix. Some believe you don't need high flowing heads to make power on a FI system forcing the air - others believe different. As it was with the stgII heads, I lost a 1/2-3/4lbs of boost, although I was making more power and still stayed at 9+lbs. I was at 10.5lbs before - on a digital gauge - no parallex error.

LOL, Ben, you are relentless.

Dude, you can't come on here and say what you have without comment. Frankly, I'm tired of hearing what some "believe" it will do. I'm interested in hearing what the plan is to get more out of it than what you already have. Not more power, but 14lbs of boost. Even if now it is some pie in the sky stuff right now, I'd like to hear and ask you the same as you did me.

Wait a minute, did I read 14 psi is achievable on a 6.0L with a radix??? Someone needs a new gauge...

I should see 12lbs of boost with my setup. LQ4/73.5cc heads/zero loss exhaust system.

Make sure you get a digital gauge. Needle gauges can vary too much depending on your angle and don't give boost in decimal points like a digital. Removing my Dakota Digital gauge this weekend if you're interested. A heck of a lot more accurate.

LOL, Ben, you are relentless.

Dude, you can't come on here and say what you have without comment. Frankly, I'm tired of hearing what some "believe" it will do. I'm interested in hearing what the plan is to get more out of it than what you already have. Not more power, but 14lbs of boost. Even if now it is some pie in the sky stuff right now, I'd like to hear and ask you the same as you did me.

Ben, the only one pressing anyone for anything is you. This thread was about my WCCH J-Tube, not what a Radix can and can't do. Look to my future threads to reveal my further plans. I have no problem sharing what I do, I actually really enjoy doing it, and helping people out, if I can, along the way. I don't however like feeling pressured to do so. If your looking for 14lbs out of a 6L, I'm not the guy to do it. However, I am going to try to get 12lbs at some future point and time. That is what I have to offer.

Ben, the only one pressing anyone for anything is you. This thread was about my WCCH J-Tube, not what a Radix can and can't do. Look to my future threads to reveal my further plans. I have no problem sharing what I do, I actually really enjoy doing it, and helping people out, if I can, along the way. I don't however like feeling pressured to do so. If your looking for 14lbs out of a 6L, I'm not the guy to do it. However, I am going to try to get 12lbs at some future point and time. That is what I have to offer.

Uhhhmm....you got off topic first claiming the MP112 had not been maxed out yet and then others jumped in on it. I haven't pressed for anything other than maybe some proof of x number of lbs boost on whatever motor people claim the system can do. If you feel pressured...okay. You still however, have not answered the same question you asked of me.

Uhhhmm....you got off topic first claiming the MP112 had not been maxed out yet and then others jumped in on it. I haven't pressed for anything other than maybe some proof of x number of lbs boost on whatever motor people claim the system can do. If you feel pressured...okay. You still however, have not answered the same question you asked of me.

I'm at a loss. You'll have to refesh my memory regarding the question. The proof that the MP112 has not been max'd out in one aspect is due to the 90mm TB which increases VE. BlownChevy posted his results. +50rwhp, +25rwtq, -2" of inlet tube vacuum. This is a draw through type system so max'ing it out relies heavily on whats before the blower, as well as other things.

I don't know how much clearer I can make it.

I'm at a loss. You'll have to refesh my memory regarding the question. The proof that the MP112 has not been max'd out in one aspect is due to the 90mm TB which increases VE. BlownChevy posted his results. +50rwhp, +25rwtq, -2" of inlet tube vacuum. This is a draw through type system so max'ing it out relies heavily on whats before the blower, as well as other things.

I don't know how much clearer I can make it.

You have some thin skin dude. Stop taking everything so personal. The question you asked of me. Like 6 posts up.

Depends on your angle on the "maxing" question. Do I believe there is more power in it, sure. A custom tune alone will net you 35-50hp. The angle I look at is cfm. It is maxed out there, or damn close. Although you may be able to squeeze another 300-500cfm out of it. Lowering the IAT is the only way to get anything addit'l substantial hp out of it. If you plan to strap nitrous on it, then this is all moot mostly. A cooling charge will cure all that ails the Radix or anything else out there where heat soak is killing its efficiency.

All I know is it is good that Magnuson is coming out with a bigger and better blower. They are soon to be left behind by the new Whipple, if not. Not an attack on you or your system.

Again.....I applaud you guys for what you have done. Many Radix owners will benefit because of it. You guys defend this thing to the death as if it was a child of yours.

Archived