Vortech max

quick66ss

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok let me see if i got this right. You need high grade gas for the 6.0 HO. My dealer told me when i bought the truck not to put anything in it but the low grade 87 i think and that is all i have ever put in it for the 9000k mile i have on it. have i been messing up all this time and have i hurt my truck and was the dealer full of crap.

Yes the dealer was mistaken, if you open the little fuel fill door on the side of the truck you will see a GM sticker that says "PREMIUM FUEL ONLY" - it's right there bigger than Dallas. The LQ9 wants 93-octane although it is not available in all parts of the country (91 or better is ok on the factory PCM tune). However the computer in the truck is smarter than that; it will adapt to the grade of fuel you give it within reason. Regular 87-octane unleaded will not harm the engine, but the computer will reduce ignition timing to prevent detonation and in turn the truck will be sluggish and get lower mileage. So you can either buy cheaper gas and suffer worse mileage and performance, or buy more expensive fuel and get better mileage and performance. Oh, and another fuel tip - every oil change add a bottle of Chevron Techron ($6 walkmart) to a half-tank of fuel to keep the injectors clean, the truck *loves* it.

Mr. P. :)

Yes the dealer was mistaken, if you open the little fuel fill door on the side of the truck you will see a GM sticker that says "PREMIUM FUEL ONLY" - it's right there bigger than Dallas.  The LQ9 wants 93-octane although it is not available in all parts of the country (91 or better is ok on the factory PCM tune).  However the computer in the truck is smarter than that; it will adapt to the grade of fuel you give it within reason.  Regular 87-octane unleaded will not harm the engine, but the computer will reduce ignition timing to prevent detonation and in turn the truck will be sluggish and get lower mileage.  So you can either buy cheaper gas and suffer worse mileage and performance, or buy more expensive fuel and get better mileage and performance.  Oh, and another fuel tip - every oil change add a bottle of Chevron Techron ($6 walkmart) to a half-tank of fuel to keep the injectors clean, the truck *loves* it.

Mr. P. :)

I'm not sure if the V-max says Premium fuel only on the inside of the fuel door. My VHO doesn't. :dunno: I know my SS said it.

What type of gas mileage are you guys getting with your VMAX? I am trading in the SS this week on a 06 VMAX sitting on 22s!! LOL I got 8mpg with the SS this last trip(hauling the boat), and it's on the outs this week.

I have never checked the mileage but the truck says 13.2 and I drive it hard.

Ok let me see if i got this right. You need high grade gas for the 6.0 HO. My dealer told me when i bought the truck not to put anything in it but the low grade 87 i think and that is all i have ever put in it for the 9000k mile i have on it. have i been messing up all this time and have i hurt my truck and was the dealer full of crap.

It's right in the owners manual...

• 5 weeks later...

I have an 06 2wd Vortec Max Performance Edition 6.0 H.O.. There is no label on the fuel door but in the owners manual it says for vehicle with the 6.0 engine with a N in the vin code use premim 91 or higher.

ive got an 06' vmax....doesnt say "premium only" anywhere. However, the owners manual says that 6.0 liter can run on 87, but premium is better and if it knocks and pings you need premium to keep it from doing such. When i drove it off the lot they had filled it with 87 and i could hear a slight knock under throttle. Ill pay the extra bit for premium anyway.

Yea mine had 87 in it to. I didnt realize that I should use higher until after I read this thread and have been putting 93 in it now and I can really tell the diffrence. One other thing, Man this truck hauls a$$. :thumbs:

my vho when i got it didnt come with the "right books" but after doing a little research i quickly found out that there are two 6.0 motors. the lq7 and the lq9, the sevens are a lower compression and the nine are higher compression. you guys have the lq9 but reading the books i think it only mentions the ss needing a minimum of 91. thats where the confusion is... you have the same motor as an ss. the sevens went into the heavy duty's and will run 87 oct. hope this helps, and anyone chime in, the more knowledge i can get, the better off i am.

Archived