Alternative Intake Manifolds

BenKey

Just wondering who else is looking to do this....not just pondering, but seriously thinking of it?

Still waiting on mattrem's results and what he found. Hopefully, it went well.

I am leaning towards doing a 90mm FAST intake. The intake is pretty expensive. The lowest I have found is $735, including shipping. The LS2 90mm tb, TAC module, and harness adapter will cost an addit'l $500.

Fueling it then becomes the issue. I believe the stock fuel rails may work, depending on what matt comes back with, but may also need to be replaced. Nasty Performance can provide the fuel rails, connections to hook to the stock lines, and for the '03s, even an aftermarket fp regulator. '04 and above may not need one, but not 100% sure on that.

The truck wp will not work either because the snout comes up into where the new tb will be. May be just as easy as going with a f-body wp, not sure. Matt was working on other alternatives to turn the snout, as was Speartech. Speartech also make a re-location bracket for one of the pulleys that will be needed, but there may be other alternatives.

So....who is doing it, but is waiting for the whole problem to be figured out? This will cost a good amount but could be worth it if you already have better flowing heads, or plan on spinning your motor pretty high. I don't have to mention the big cube guys - you already know. It could make a diff of 20-40hp.

If not the FAST, what other intake do you plan on? And what are your plans to make it "all" work?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As most of you know, I have bought a fast 90 intake, ls2 t.b., speartech harness, t.b. control box, vette water pump, brackets,power steering pump, altern. and crank pulley. I dont know if the vette power steering pump and comp is going to work but should know in about a month. If anyone has already tried these let me know.

I think I am going to try the edelbrock intake on my truck. I found out that Nitro Daves can hide the nitrous sytem underneath the intake with some little plexiglass windows that I can make. It was also brought to my attention that there is a 105mm tb available and I have access to a machine that can mill me an adapter to convert the bolt pattern for the tb to the intake. I think the carb intake is a good alternative since you dont have to do all the mods that are required for the LS6 style intakes. 2toneblown went from the FAST intake to a carb style on his turboed 408 for more hp also. I like the UMI tb but its not an option for you guys since you have the DBW stuff.

I'm in the process of doing a 90mm fast intake. Looking forward to displaying it at the zippy2 event. If its possible were going to try and modify the stock fuel rails, if not use camaro's rails or worst case scenerio go with the fast fuel rails and modify them. I'm looking into a f-body water pump but i can get a electric pump cheaper than a GM one, so I'll probally take that route. Still waiting on my heads from ET so we can make tubing to accept the height change on the intake.

I'm in the process of doing a 90mm fast intake.  Looking forward to displaying it at the zippy2 event.  If its possible were going to try and modify the stock fuel rails, if not use camaro's rails or worst case scenerio go with the fast fuel rails and modify them.  I'm looking into a f-body water pump but i can get a electric pump cheaper than a GM one, so I'll probally take that route. Still waiting on my heads from ET so we can make tubing to accept the height change on the intake.

Tubing? Please post pics when you get done.

I am also looking to change the truck manifold to a LS2 or FAST type with a 90mm tb. I hopeing someone can do it with just a waterpump change, idler relocation, and some fuel rail moddifications. Anything more than that and i dont think it will be worth it for me. :dunno:

I am also looking to change the truck manifold to a LS2 or FAST type with a 90mm tb. I hopeing someone can do it with just a waterpump change, idler relocation,  and some fuel rail moddifications. Anything more than that and i dont think it will be worth it for me.  :dunno:

That is all that is needed. Seen this thread?

LS1/LS6 conversion

You can see in this thread they re-located the inlet tube on the truck water pump. Moved it from the top of the pump to the front, and then put it in a 90 turn. Finding someone to do that kind of work may be difficult. Changing the angle of the neck may be pretty easy, but finding a place that can plug the top and cut a hole for the front will be more difficult.

It won't be extremely difficult to modify a mounting piece to mount your truck rails. It won't be very pretty, but once you do that you're good to go for fueling. I think it will be easier to go to the car type injectors. The only bad part about the truck rails on there, or the ugly part, is the crossover.

So can you get the 90mm tb and all of the correct parts from gmpartsdirect.com, because i think im not going to be changing the manifold yet.

You can get the LS2 90mm tb and the TAC module to make it work. You would have to get a new harness from Speartech.

So can you get the 90mm tb and all of the correct parts from gmpartsdirect.com, because i think im not going to be changing the manifold yet.

You can get the LS2 90mm tb and the TAC module to make it work. You would have to get a new harness from Speartech.

So if i pick all of those things up I should be in the clear?

So if i pick all of those things up I should be in the clear?

Not sure what you mean. Would you be able to use - no. There is some minor modification required and the stock manifold will not take the LS2 90mm. The bolt pattern is different. You would have to go to the FAST/LS2, or other type.

Archived