How-To: Install Drop-Front Spindles

misterp

Sorry to bring back an old topic, but it's a good read.

I'm adding McGaughy spindles today, but can't find the torque settings listed/posted anywhere. Anyone know the torque settings fro the up/lower ball joints, axle nut, and tie rod ends off the top of their head, or know where I might look them up myself?

Appreciate it!

• 2 months later...
Sorry to bring back an old topic, but it's a good read.

I'm adding McGaughy spindles today, but can't find the torque settings listed/posted anywhere. Anyone know the torque settings fro the up/lower ball joints, axle nut, and tie rod ends off the top of their head, or know where I might look them up myself?

Appreciate it!

i was just thinking the samething!!!

misterp paging misterp

• 4 years later...

Just so you know I was in no way putting down the way you did it because the outcome is still the same. I just happen to know a few shortcuts because there was a time when I was doing this about twice a day for about a week on my truck trying to get a set of spindles that actually fit. Also with the AWD I knew the halfshaft didn't need to be removed because it's just like installing lift spindles on an HD and I have only done countless lifts on HD's when I worked at a "drop shop" :confused: DONT ASK :dunno:

I'm looking to do this in the new future to my truck, how much would you say is a fair price for doing this mod?

I'm looking to do this in the new future to my truck, how much would you say is a fair price for doing this mod?

In a properly equipped shop with a qualified suspension mechanic, I personally would expect an estimate of a full day for removing & replacing drop spindles, leaf spring front hangers, leaf spring rear shackles, and front alignment - assuming no hangups or 'discoveries'. So ask what their hourly shop rate is and multiply by 6-hours and add-in the cost of a front-end alignment, and that should get you in the ballpark as far as labor costs. This does not include extra issues - i.e. most suspension mechanics will not do a job like this without also replacing the front ball joints, tie-rod ends, or other steering pieces that may be worn, and that will add to the project both in parts and labor. If the truck has any significant mileage on it (over 90K-miles) I would seriously consider at least new ball joints in the drop kit install process too.

Mr. P.

My shop charged me $250 labor to do the drop including c-notch as Mr. P said above also including shock replacement, $170 for front end allignment, rotation and balance plus painting weights black. This is why I jumped on that deal because it should of been a lot more. Truck drives pro.

My shop charged me $250 labor to do the drop including c-notch as Mr. P said above also including shock replacement, $170 for front end allignment, rotation and balance plus painting weights black. This is why I jumped on that deal because it should of been a lot more. Truck drives pro.

You got a fantastic deal, that's a lot of work for $430; totals I have been told ranged anywhere from $500-800 not including parts.

Mr. P.

Hey i am getting ready to drop and does anybody know the part # for the 2 inch drop McGaughy spindle i have a 2003 silverado ss awd???

McG's new part # is 33004 for front spindles for 17" or larger wheels

http://www.mcgaughys.com/truck_new.html :takealook:

read their website here to verify my info.

Guest jasonhensley22

Man this is really gonna come in handy because I just ordered a pair of Belltech 2" drop spindles. Thank you Mr P, you're getting a +1 reputation from me on this one thumb.gif

In a properly equipped shop with a qualified suspension mechanic, I personally would expect an estimate of a full day for removing & replacing drop spindles, leaf spring front hangers, leaf spring rear shackles, and front alignment - assuming no hangups or 'discoveries'. So ask what their hourly shop rate is and multiply by 6-hours and add-in the cost of a front-end alignment, and that should get you in the ballpark as far as labor costs. This does not include extra issues - i.e. most suspension mechanics will not do a job like this without also replacing the front ball joints, tie-rod ends, or other steering pieces that may be worn, and that will add to the project both in parts and labor. If the truck has any significant mileage on it (over 90K-miles) I would seriously consider at least new ball joints in the drop kit install process too.

Mr. P.

Looks like I will be forced to do this myself, labor rates in shops are getting rediculous there is no way I'm paying someone 800 bucks max to install a pair of drop spindles and my truck has 89k on it so ball joints will prolly be changed since i have it apart anyway.. Its already in need of an alignment so I was going to have that done anyway. I'm not made of money like some who could in some how justify dropping that kind of cash on a lowering job... CRaaaaZY

Edit: Actually not going to go with drop spindles now, I going to buy the belltech stage 1 lowering kit for a 2" front 3-4" Rear drop.

Archived