ls2 402 questions

as for heads, it's a tough call but you're likely going to want the 225's or 240's. this depends on what you want the truck to be used for. with the 240's on there it will perform better, but may not be as friendly around town.

In what way would they not be as friendly around town?

you have enough stall currently to have it not be much of a problem. the bigger the head port is that you go with the more rpm it takes to make some velocity in the the port. big head engines can tend to idle much rougher and be more prone to fowling plugs in heavy traffic kind of driving.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do the FAST or Lingenfelter intake. Don't waste your time on the SSR one. You can get a 90mm Corvette TB and a harness that will convert your TB truck harness from Speartech. You'll also need a TAC (throttle air controller?) module. I got all 3 of those for less than $500 shipped.

I'm still trying to make a decision on an intake myself.

as for heads, it's a tough call but you're likely going to want the 225's or 240's. this depends on what you want the truck to be used for. with the 240's on there it will perform better, but may not be as friendly around town.

In what way would they not be as friendly around town?

you have enough stall currently to have it not be much of a problem. the bigger the head port is that you go with the more rpm it takes to make some velocity in the the port. big head engines can tend to idle much rougher and be more prone to fowling plugs in heavy traffic kind of driving.

Ah, I see. I remember in my other thread, you mentioned that I might want to go with a 2600 stall (for the 402 + blower combo) that stalled near 3000 because of the additional power. I would assume that if im going n/a + nitrous that the 3000 stall I have now would work fine, because the new motor hp would probably be the same or a little more than what im putting out now. The extra hp from the nitrous wouldn't kick in until after I stall it up. Is this a correct assumption or would I still need to go with a 2600?

Do the FAST or Lingenfelter intake.  Don't waste your time on the SSR one.  You can get a 90mm Corvette TB and a harness that will convert your TB truck harness from Speartech.  You'll also need a TAC (throttle air controller?) module.  I got all 3 of those for less than $500 shipped.

I must have missed something. I didn't now the harness situation was solved.

You got all three for under $500? Your talking about the intake, TB and harness? Or you have all three intakes?

that is a killer deal you got ben. should be quite an improvement on your setup. :thumbs:

on the naturally asperated setup you're going to be faster with the 3000 stall if you go with the big cam and head setup. for the nitrous passes you're going to find alot of tire spin if you run the juice right out of the gate as 2bseen has shown with your current converter. if you run a window switch on the juice you'll be fine though.

that is a killer deal you got ben. should be quite an improvement on your setup.  :thumbs:

on the naturally asperated setup you're going to be faster with the 3000 stall if you go with the big cam and head setup. for the nitrous passes you're going to find alot of tire spin if you run the juice right out of the gate as 2bseen has shown with your current converter. if you run a window switch on the juice you'll be fine though.

Wow, so he ran 11.4 with alot of tire spin? Im assuming that nitrous would be better right out of the gate with our trucks and the awd? Wouldn't it? I might want to with a 2600 then. :dunno:

Do the FAST or Lingenfelter intake.  Don't waste your time on the SSR one.  You can get a 90mm Corvette TB and a harness that will convert your TB truck harness from Speartech.  You'll also need a TAC (throttle air controller?) module.  I got all 3 of those for less than $500 shipped.

I must have missed something. I didn't now the harness situation was solved.

You got all three for under $500? Your talking about the intake, TB and harness? Or you have all three intakes?

I got the Corvette 90mm TB, TAC module, and harness for just under $500.

I haven't decided on an intake yet. I may do the FAST. Waiting on mattrem's final "running" report. He's got a 78mm FAST that he is changing the upper part to a 90mm (or lower - not sure which is changed).

On the street I spin about 3ft or so on 100 wet shot with 20" chrome wheels and kumhos, at the track with low air pressure I spin about 2-4 ft depending on track conditions. I have a set of 18" wheels and Nitto drag radials to put on the truck when it gets out of the shop and will see if that helps and should. I like the 3k or just above stall, I am at 3300 now. It is not any problem to run on the street and my wife drives the truck sometimes and cant tell it has a stall. I have already gotten a fast 90mm intake, tac box from gm and the speartech harness but it will be about 2 more weeks before the heads get in from Et. I went with the 240 heads on my 427 and I am thinking the 255 would be a bit much for a 402. I ordered 225 for the 408 before I bought the 427 motor and called and changed to the 240s. I am hoping someone will get a 90 setup on their truck and running before I get mine. That way if they are any problems I can fix them before I install the motor.

I am hoping someone will get a 90 setup on their truck and running before I get mine.  That way if they are any problems I can fix them before I install the motor.

Me too.

mattrem is working on his. Should be done very soon. Ask him to send you some pics.

I'm looking at that Lingenfelter intake pretty hard. Seems it would be easier to make even better than it is. Has room to open things up even more. May be what you need for a 427, but who knows.

I am hoping someone will get a 90 setup on their truck and running before I get mine.  That way if they are any problems I can fix them before I install the motor.

Me too.

mattrem is working on his. Should be done very soon. Ask him to send you some pics.

I'm looking at that Lingenfelter intake pretty hard. Seems it would be easier to make even better than it is. Has room to open things up even more. May be what you need for a 427, but who knows.

that intake on there wbe site is just a overpriced lsx intake

I just got the Speartech idler bracket today. I am going to swap intakes on Sat. I am going to put the 78mm TB on first to make sure there isn't going to be any problems. I have changed the inlet on the truck waterpump to clear the DBW motor. So I want to make sure that the waterpump is going to work ok first. I think the 90mm setup will go on in a few weeks as long as everything is ok. I am using the truck style injectors and truck fuel rails also.

On the street I spin about 3ft or so on 100 wet shot with 20" <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.qklinkserver.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=92&k=chrome%20wheels&st=1" onmouseover="window.status='Search for: chrome wheels'; self.ql_skeyphrase='chrome%20wheels'; if(window.event) self.ql_sevent=window.event.srcElement; self.ql_timeout = setTimeout('ql_doMouseOver(1)', 1000); self.ql_isOverLink=true; return true;" onclick="if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; ql_closeiframe(); self.ql_skeyphrase='chrome%20wheels'; window.status='Search for: chrome wheels';return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; setTimeout('ql_closeiframe()', 1500); ">chrome wheels</a> and kumhos, at the track with low air pressure I spin about 2-4 ft depending on track conditions.  I have a set of 18" wheels and Nitto drag radials to put on the truck when it gets out of the shop and will see if that helps and should.  I like the 3k or just above stall, I am at 3300 now.  It is not any problem to run on the street and my wife drives the truck sometimes and cant tell it has a stall.  I have already gotten a fast 90mm intake, tac box from gm and the speartech harness but it will be about 2 more weeks before the heads get in from Et.  I went with the 240 heads on my 427 and I am thinking the 255 would be a bit much for a 402.  I ordered 225 for the 408 before I bought the 427 motor and called and changed to the 240s.  I am hoping someone will get a 90 setup on their truck and running before I get mine.  That way if they are any problems I can fix them before I install the motor.

I have 18's with the nitto drag radials as well. Cant wait untill you flow all three of those heads. That will probably influence my choice greatly. If you were using the 225's on your 408, that would probably be a good choice for me as well. What converter are you running? Yank 3000?

Guys the SSR manifold is the same as the truck manifold internally. The only difference is the 90mm opening that immediately necks down to 78mm. Don't waste your money there.

Might also want to look at a Victor Jr aluminum mani. $399 and only needs a 90mm elbow ($140-250). It's powerband is a little high (3500-7500rpm) for the street imo, but what is the fast 90? If its the same range, I'd do the aluminum one and polish that biatch

Guys the SSR manifold is the same as the truck manifold internally.  The only difference is the 90mm opening that immediately necks down to 78mm.  Don't waste your money there.

Might also want to look at a Victor Jr aluminum mani.  $399 and only needs a 90mm elbow ($140-250).  It's powerband is a little high (3500-7500rpm) for the street imo, but what is the fast 90?  If its the same range, I'd do the aluminum one and polish that biatch

Got any links or pics for the Victor Jr aluminum manifold? Also, would you be able to do a direct port nitrous system on the victor jr like this? :D

lsx11nr.jpg

:D:D

Archived