LS6 Valve Spring Part# Confusion

After reading dantwomey's "Name that Valvespring" thread: http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19376 I started doing a little research to make sure that the springs that I have are what I think they are. They look just like the one pictured in the thread. So I started checking part numbers and different vendors and came up with some conflicting information. Here's what I got:

I bought my LS6 springs from Texas Speed, part# 12565313. According to their website they're good for .550 lift. When I type that part number into the GM Performance Parts website, it comes up as original equipment on an LS6 head assembly. GMPartsDirect doesn't come up with the number at all.

So I go to Lingenfelter's website, and they list the Z06/LS6 springs as part# 12586484, and state that they're good for .580 lift. The same part number is also good at Summit Racing, and GMPartsDirect, but doesn't come up on the GM Performance Parts website.

Next on to Scoggin Dickey, who lists the Z06/LS6 springs as part# 12499224, and state that they're good for .570 lift. This part number is also good on GMPartsDirect, but doesn't come up on the GM Performance Parts website.

Not to confuse things more, but there is one more part number to throw into the mix, but I've got this one figured out. Part# 12565117 is listed as the LS6 spring that comes with the GM Hot Cam kit...but I know that this is the older (01) LS6 spring that is supposedly good for .530 lift or something like that...I believe it's also referred to as the "blue stripe" spring, while the 02 and up are either yellow or green stripe springs.

Now, what I want to know is, are all of these different part numbers the same spring? And if so, why does each source list them as being good for different lifts, varying from .550 to .580? They're all listed as LS6 equipment? :crazy:

Does anyone have any access to a database that could cross-reference the numbers, or any other info that could clear this up? (not to mention, Lingenfelter and SDPC sell them for alot less than I paid for them from Tex Spd...guess I should do more research next time) :banghead:

Just get some Comp 918s and be done with the headache.

I'd get Crane duals before I ever got Comp springs again...I'm not a fan of those brittle springs that need annual replacement.

In that case I would get the TEA gold, or Patriot gold. The same spring. Good for .650" lift.

I'd get Crane duals before I ever got Comp springs again...I'm not a fan of those brittle springs that need annual replacement.

In that case I would get the TEA gold, or Patriot gold. The same spring. Good for .650" lift.

That sounds pretty cool....but I'm still dyin' to know what's the deal with the LS6 springs, just to ease my own mind. Just one of those "gotta know" things for me :)

When I emailed Lingenfelter they told me the springs included with the GT2-3 cam kit were the Z06 springs and were a perfect match for the GT2-3 cam. I decided to go with the Z06 springs from Lingenefelter because they were substantially cheaper ($60 vs. $180) than the 918's and Lingenfelter seems to have an excellent reputation.

Just out of curiosity I also asked them how they could offer such a good deal on these springs. They responded that they buy them in large quantities and have decided to pass along the savings to their customers.

Also, I visited a respected engine shop in my area to discuss my cam install and some dyno tuning and at first glance they said, "I see you're going with the Z06 springs."

Regards,

Dan :P

That sounds pretty cool....but I'm still dyin' to know what's the deal with the LS6 springs, just to ease my own mind. Just one of those "gotta know" things for me :)

I think I can clear this up for you. Part# 12586484 took the place of Part# 12565313 back in February of 2004. This part# is for a single spring.

Part# 12499224 is for a "kit" (qty. of 16) of these springs. As with most things, the springs are much cheaper in kit form. Below is a picture of this kit. Hope this helps.

Greg

12499224.gif

I have the 03 GM Performance catalog and the part# for the LS6 Springs are 12565117. Now that was the part # in 03 we're in 06 now and when I worked at the dealer I learned GM changes part # more than they change they underwear :D . When they do price changes or catalog updates they change numbers. There would be times when I would go to the counter guy to get a part, he would look it up in the catalog and buy the time he would charge it out the thing would change numbers 3 or 4 times. Hope this helps :thumbs:

Now it's all starting to make sense...so it appears that they're all the same spring, just with different part numbers. The pic that GBass posted is exactly what mine look like, right down to the little blue stickers that read "Made in Germany" if I remember correctly. Cool deal, thanks for all the input everybody :thumbs:

Archived