smoked a 2003 ford mustang GT

SSminneapolis

poor guy still had the dealer plates on the car...and a lil left over goo from the window sticker...got a good launch on him...about 3 car lengths and then from there left him in the dust...plenty of power left to beat him with the A/C running and the 1000 watt stereo cranked so that i didn't have to hear him wine when he caught up at the next light...still have to prove myself to the corba though...had one a few weeks ago neck and neck until we hit about 45 mph..then he just took off on me...no shame in that...just wait till i get my blower...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ummm, are you sure he was even racing you? A stock mustang GT is quite a bit faster than a mostly stock SS. If he had a brand new GT right off the lot most likely he was takin' it easy on his brand new motor, like most of us here did with the SS for about 1000 mi...

I don't know about the LS engines, but the mod motors (the ford 4.6 and 5.4 especially) really add power after break in. About 4 - 5k miles my 5.4 just "woke up"... It's weird.

Do the LS engines act the same way?

Either way, glad you enjoyed the run! That's what it's all about is having fun!

unless you have some spectacular mods, a stock 03' gt should have walked away from you like he didn't know you were racing him. ghostrider, it's gen III engines, LS or LS1 and LS6 engines are in the cars. they do most certainly respond to miles though, around 10k they are at their best.

in no way was he taking it easy on his motor...i could see him smacking the steering wheel with both hands almost the entire way...ill get video of the next victim...that will put the critics to rest...as for my first 1000 miles...those happened in the first weekend i had my SS...drove up to the cabin...and everyone on the way seemed to want to play...probably not the best breakin period....but it worked...

I am not a ford fan at all; I just thought the GT mustang was faster than that, that’s all.

So let’s start over now,

Ehem, why put a GT badge or label on a vehicle that doesn’t even have enough power to beat a full size X-Cab pickup truck with a messily 345hp and a SS badge that most say it doesn’t earn.

Well if you can beat a mustang with a vehicle that weights 1900lbs more, take the GT off and just call it a pony… :lol:

Zippy, thanks for the info. So it seems to take a little longer for the Gen III engines to get "loosened in", so to speak, than it does the ford mod motors.

The new 3 valve mod motors that ford is building seem to be heading in the right direction, with the 5.4 going to 300 in '04 NA and then (supposedly) going to 500 with 10 lbs of boost and the "supercooler" in the next gen L. I like that GM pulls more ponies without a blower, but I do like blower whine (grin)...

I'm personally hoping that GM steps up to the plate with a reg. cab SS and some forced induction. Other than the SRT-10, Dodge is not going to step up in the sport truck market and the SRT-10s (I hear they will only make 3k of them) are going to be so scarce and expensive no one will want to run them...

I'm not really a mustang kind of guy, so I can't say much about what's what with them, but the 300 hp 5.4 motor will probably bring it to life in a good way. I know the blower really woke up the new cobras, I just wish they'd make an "adult size" interior in ALL of the sports cars. The vettes good sized, but the rest of the "pony cars" aren't suitable for people shaped like me to ride around in... (Hey, round is a shape! hahaha...)

But hey, that's all just opinion...

Again, thanks for the info and any tidbits about GM engines and performance you want to throw out I'll thank you for in advance... :seeya:

MM&FF ran a 13.8 or something like that with a bone stock GT manual.C&Ds drivers aren't the fastest("There writers not drag racers"),but its probally a good example of what you could exspect out of a newer Mustang owner.

Keep in mind that the SSS was tested to go 14.8 :crazy: which is optimistic to say the least.

Anyway, I raced numerous '03 mustangs and have yet to see a "stock" GT run any better than 14.8. That number was done with ET street tires, power shifting and some weight reductions. The automatic GT's have a real hard time going below 15.2 without mods.

Before I started modding my truck, I raced a new Mustang and was able to get a 1 1/2 truck length ahead of him off the line with just about equal RT's. That lead was ever shrinking as we got closer to the end of the strip.

I own a Mustang also. :thumbs:

A friend of mine told me that they were not making the Cobra next year because the new Mustang was supposed to be so fast. So, they were going to hold off production since the Cobra is "supposed" to be faster and they were waiting for the numbers on the new mustang and evaluate what they needed to do to make the Cobra quicker. Anyone know if this is true?

Anyway, I raced numerous '03 mustangs and have yet to see a "stock" GT run any better than 14.8.  That number was done with ET street tires, power shifting and some weight reductions.  The automatic GT's have a real hard time going below 15.2 without mods. 

5.0 Mustang magazine published a test in their December issue last year ("The Real World" Pages 60 - 66) of what they were able to achieve with a stock '02 GT. Their results looked like this:

14.986 @ 94.47

14.557 @ 97.09

14.684 @ 96.42

14.450 @ 97.82

14.218 @ 98.06

They stated "That was for this car in bone-stock trim on this night"

Heres a link to MM&FFs results

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/feat...5mmff_shootout/

2001 GT vs. GT350

Track Test

2001 GT 1966 GT3501.

14.43/97.09 15.06/93.552.

14.09/98.18 14.99/93.303.

14.06/98.33 14.92/94.334.

13.97/99.02 14.87/93.865.

13.90/98.77 14.87/94.13

Heres the post on stangnet where i got my info

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?...f+stock+mustang

Believe what you want,but in my opinion the SSS is evanly matched with an auto GT or a manual with a bad driver.

A friend of mine told me that they were not making the Cobra next year because the new Mustang was supposed to be so fast.  So, they were going to hold off production since the Cobra is "supposed" to be faster and they were waiting for the numbers on the new mustang and evaluate what they needed to do to make the Cobra quicker.  Anyone know if this is true?

The 04 GT is rumored to be getting 3v heads increasing output to about 300hp and the Cobra is rumored to be coming back in late 05-early 06 with around 500hp.

Archived