Collection of Lowering Notes and Best Practices

misterp

FRONT:

* Early McGaughys (pronounced MA-goys) spindles caused an increase in turning radius - this design oversight was corrected in later spindles, and Belltech spindles never had this problem;

Just installed the McGaughy deluxe kit on my truck this weekend (drop spindle, shackles and hangers). No major installation problems, Mr. P's how-to's were immensely helpful!

However, my turning radius is definitely worse now then it was before the drop. Could I somehow have gotten old spindles? I bought the kit new from Godfather Customs a couple of months ago. If not, what else that could be causing this?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I read this excellent post on the ins and outs of lowering the SSS before jumping in to lower my '03 AWD SS. After receiving the lowering kit from Tony (I went with 1"-2" drop shackles and keys), it was off to the shop to do the installation, well, the first installation. It took a few tries to get it worked out and fortunately, I have access to the dealership lifts and alignment machine. Here's the chain of events and the result.

All measurements taken on level pavement at the center of the wheel well.

Stock: rear: 36, front: 34 3/4 . Torsion key bolts have 15/16" thread showing

Install rear shackles: rear 35, front 34 1/2. Bolts screwed out to 1 1/8 thread showing, but both front and rear are sitting on bump stops. Rode like a log wagon!

Trim front bumpers and install shorter rear bumpers.

Rear is now 34 1/2 and front is 34". All is good. It aligned great with no vibration, but I wanted more rake, so I installed the drop keys on the front torsion bars.

The rear stayed at 34 1/2 and the front was at 33 1/4 with the bolts screwed all the way in, but It wouldn't align at this point. With all the adjustment used up, it still had too much negative camber. Also, I had a vibration and a general feeling of binding. It didn't like expansion joints at all. The ride was awful.

I extended the bolts using acorn nuts to get the keys as tight as possible. In fact, the keys are against the cross member now. It's at 33 1/2 and with the alignment adjustment maxxed out, it is within specs! However, the vibration and binding are still there, but not as bad.

Finally, I reinstalled the stock keys and adjusted the bolts to 1" and the front end is riding at 33 3/4. Granted, that's only 1/4 higher than before, but the vibration is gone and I have 3/4" rake.

We rechecked the alignment and it's spot on, no binding or vibration. Success! I drive my truck about 2500 miles/month, so it needs to be right on the highway. I think it looked best at 33 1/4 on the front, but that wouldn't work in my case.

My question is: the article says that everything will work at 2" drop, but on my truck, it wouldn't take 1 1/2" due to alignment and driveline vibration. If I were to install drop spindles, how would it be any different? The spindles will allow it to align within spec, but will also increase the angle of the front axles, which I think is the source of the vibration. Is this "as low as I can go?"

It's been a great exercise and learning experience! p.s. I have a set of drop keys for sale!

Here's a pick at 33 1/4 on the front.

IMG_3704_zps0f527dc0.jpg

Thanks for all your interest. It's a great truck!

• 10 months later...

So I just purchased 22" reps and the BellTech 2/2 rear hanger and drop keys for my 03 SS. They just showed up today so I hope to install them this weekend or early next week. I plan on dropping the front 1" and the back end 2". I want a lower stance but the truck to still be functionalble. http://www.belltech.com/products/belltech/complete-lowering-kits/lowering-kits-15379.html

My question is once I drop the truck I assume I need to take it to the alignment shop. Is there an ideal setting for the front end of just back to factory specs? Dropping the truck should change camber negatively right? Also is there anything i need to look out for with pinion angle or other suspension geometry issues.

I also got 305/45/22 with a 22x10 rep wheel. Should I foresee any clearance issues with the slight drop I'm doing?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...