CD player cuts out after sub install

dawgbone

I put a 10" L5 in my truck when I first got it and had been beating it with no problems...I just recently baught a Subthump box for my older 2 JL 12w6's...I've had a 1000wt amp in it the whole time...and decided to use it's power with the 12's...

All I did was install the 12's...I didn't touch anything else...now...when listening to a CD and crank it up..it acts as if the cd is skipping...I'm pretty sure that it isn't the bass that makes it skip...and really sounds more of a cut out than a skip..But it doesn't cut out when listening to the radio...battery voltmeter looks fine at 14volt.. any help is appreiciated...

I had this issue in my brothers dodge. IT ended up being a pinched speaker wire or a short, but not touching. When the power got cranked up there would be some arcing going on and it made the sub cut out.

It was pinched under a seat bolt where a lot of other wires were run. I would retrace the things that you have changed and see if this or something like it could be the issue.

Thanks for the info...And you're probably onto something...as I just found out that my driver side rear door speaker isn't working...maybe from a loose wire...I'm too lazy to mess with it tonight...but will tomorrow

But what gets me is that it cuts out on all speakers...even through factory amp...and it's only when listening to CD's..just like a skipping scratched up CD...I was thinking that now that I'm using closer to 1000wts and wired for 1.5ohms... that there was too much draw for my LOC or something...but that doesn't make since as to why it would cut out on CD's only...

I've had harder hitting vehicles and never had a problem with bass upsetting the cd player...but it doesn't skip to the bass...unless it's a freq that I don't hear but vibrates the cd player...still don't think that this is my problem..

Thanks again for the help...I'll definetley dig into my speaker that isn't working...retrace wires..snug up grounds ...etc..etc

Was your L5 facing down or up?  And are you talkin about your stock CD? I know mine started skipping bad when I faced my subs down....Just throwin that out there, might save you some trouble

Yup...the L5 was facing down...and so is the SubThump box...

specifics:

stock cd...

Us Acoustics 1000D

2 JL 12W6 wired and bridged to achieve 1.5 ohm(amp capable)

Please advise...I'm about to break down and do an Eclipse (GPS)4" deck and changer.....I'm not an audiophile...but want my subs.....etc...etc...

Thanks again....

Im pretty sure you could just stabilize it a little more so it cant take the vibration.....I think thats what Im goin to do

good call...the more I think about it...I guess it is the bass disrupting it...wierd cause it'll hit hard without skipping...and then all of a sudden it goes to town...skipping like a school girl..and won't stop till I either turn the bass down on the amp(remote) or turn the volume down.....I'm going to try to pull it out and see about getting it bolted down better this weekend...

Does yours skip like this as well?

there is no way to stabilize it, i tried and tried it wont stop skipping just got done with fiberglass box with 4 L5 10" under seat and with only 1 of the 1200.1 amp running is still skips like a b1tch. if you find a way to keep it from skipping let me know so i dont have to spend money on a headunit

Definetly will.....

I'm still not convinced that it's the bass disrupting the cd player....I'm going to turn down the LOC to see if maybe it's draining power from the actual CD player...I have a capacitor...so maybe I'll hook it up this weekend to see....I know...doesn't make since....but I'm out of ideas...

Unless it's just a certain freq that does it...it doesn't make since...I hit potholes...it doesn't skip...I beat on the dash...doesn't skip...sometimes I can crank it up...and it won't skip for a while...and then all of a sudden...it'll skip like crazy until I turn it down..

To tell you the truth...mine sounds more like the factory amp cutting out vs. a skipping CD...but I could be completely wrong...and is why I was thinking that the LOC is adjusted wrong...

Archived