Sign in to follow this  
NateZ

Platinum or Iridium for blown 03

Commin up on the 12,000 mile mark on my copper TR6's, so gonna change them out. I put the copper ones in a while ago because everybody on here said the platinum or the iridiums weren't good for the 03's, or for a supercharged motor, i don't remember which, sorry guys it's been a while. Anyway, since i have a whipple and it's a pain to change the plugs, is there a platinum or iridium plug that works well now with a supercharged 03' SS so i don't have to change them every 12,000 miles?

Thanks,

Nate

Edited by NateZ

If you got 12k out of your TR-6 plugs, you did well with them, I'd say. Especially in a blown application.

If you wanted to go with a extended life plug like an iridium and you like the NGK plug, they make a TR-6IX that is in the same heat range, just iridium. They're about $4.50 each.

Cool, well as long as they are compatible with my truck, i'll go with the iridiums!

I bought some TR-6IX for my truck in conjunction with my N20 kit I will be installing soon. I have heard from several guys that the extra few $$s for the iridiums will pay off through longevity.

I was thinking about doing the plugs you mentioned however, I have a "bad" habbit of pulling my plugs to get a look at what is going on in the engine. Since I yank my plugs for a close look just about every oil change, I just swap in a new set of tr-6's. Kind of overkill changing them out every 5-10K miles but it is satisifying to me to get a good look and know that I have fresh plugs in there. A few extra $$$ isn't going to break the bank.

I like looking at my plugs too :thumbs: Plus, it can't get much easier.

I put about 25k on a set of TR6's. Not blown, but a hot tune and occasional N2O. I also like to read the plugs once in a while, and might as well put some new ones in since I'm going to the trouble of pulling them out. I usually swap them about every two or three oil changes (6000-9000mi). Not too bad - about a 30 minute job. Best done when the engine is cool.