Tuned into wrong gas?

GIjay

I'm kind of new to all of this... I just got to Alaska and put about 4k miles on the brand new Radix... Only other thing I did was a custom tune... Which made a big difference in power.

I started noticing a tick tick tickin noise right past Seattle... also the same time I can remember not being able to get 92 octane gas... maybe just the wrong gas stations... I did stock up on octane boost. Which I used on 3 full tanks @ 90.

I pulled over the first time I heard it. I did everything I could think of, put it in park, 1st gear with brake on... The only time it would tick.. was when I was going down the highway. It's not constant, only when I get on it alittle. i.e. passing.

Could this be caused by the Gas... or something worse?

Should I just dump the SuperChip tune back in?

Also before Ben or anyone else gets on the soap box... My next purchase will be a wideband 02 scaner or something like that.

thanks,

Justin

:chevy: Do you only have one pcm? I think if you put the Superchips tune back in, you might lose your better tune. I had the same problem on a trip from PA to Cali this summer. Got hold of 100 octane unleaded, and it went away. I think you should put the Superchips tune back in, but I sure hate to see you lose a good tune.

that is probably from KR*. if it does it too much it should switch you to the low octane table assuming your tuner didn't double that up. just try to keep it out of boost until you can get some better fuel and you should be fine.

I had a hypertech tuner and it saves the stock tune to the box and puts in modified tune.  Maybe if he does it, it will save the modified tune and put the superchips tune in?

I'm thinking that could work... and I should be able to save the modified tune on the Superchip tuner...

That should be correct? ?

Alaska doesn't have 92 gas period... unless it's at the track or something...

justin

That may work with the Superchips thing. It does save your stock tune, so maybe it will for your custom tune. Who did your custom tune? Did they know what octane gas you'd be forced to use?

Glad to see what your next purchase will be! :thumbs: Good logging software may suffice.

That may work with the Superchips thing.  It does save your stock tune, so maybe it will for your custom tune.  Who did your custom tune?  Did they know what octane gas you'd be forced to use?

Glad to see what your next purchase will be! :thumbs:  Good logging software may suffice.

I went ahead with loading the Superchips tune back in... but, completly lost the custom tune. It only saves the stock tune.. can't reprogram it..

Only advice I can give anyone that is thinking about a custom tune... save your money and buy the wideband 02 before you tune it... and use the same as your tuner will be using :banghead:

I wasn't aware of the gas problem until i got here...

It solved the problem by loading the Superchip tune back in... runs really smooth now. I did notice some power loss though...

justin

• 2 weeks later...

The O2 sensors that are in your truck are narrowband sensors and are only able to read over a given range. Wideband sensors are able to read over a much wider area. The O2s in your truck are narrowband and aftermarket sensors that read over a wider range are wideband.

Something that is a necessity, nearly, if you are blown or using a lot of N2O. It's the only real way to know if you are lean or rich.

Archived