will a 160 degree thermo hurt heating?

blk02gmc

A 160-stat will have your engine running at about 180-185 most of the time.  Unless you have electric fans and can adjust the on/off temperatures to keep it at a different temperature (roughly anywhere between 178-198 is possible).

True, but in sub zero temps it wouldn't close up enough to get to 180... or at least the vehicles I've had with 160's in the past couldn't reach past 160-ish...

My electric fans should be here shortly, then all I need is a reprogram... :driving:

True, but in sub zero temps it wouldn't close up enough to get to 180... or at least the vehicles I've had with 160's in the past couldn't reach past 160-ish...

My electric fans should be here shortly, then all I need is a reprogram... :driving:

Oh yeah... sub-zero. :confused: It never gets that cold down here. :dunno::jester:

Were the 160 temps you have observed on engines with a clutch fan? Perhaps e-fans turned off might allow better heating?

Oh yeah... sub-zero. :confused: It never gets that cold down here. :dunno::jester:

Were the 160 temps you have observed on engines with a clutch fan? Perhaps e-fans turned off might allow better heating?

No, they didn't have clutch fans. It was an '86 TA with a 400 horse 305 with stock single electric fan. I was able to get a 180 for it and it was perfect... 160 was to low. I froze my butt off for a 3 hour trip the weekend I put the 160 in and it never reached 160+ with cardboard blocking 80% of the radiator! BURRRRRRRRRR! Also had a '96 S-10 that I ended up with a 180 stat too (dual electric fans).

Perhaps it's time to get a used stock stat and cut a half a coil or so off of to experiment with...

I have been playing around with fan temps recently and winter or summer with the 160 t-stat my ECT's run no cooler than about 174 degrees once the engine is warmed up. I have the e-fans set to come on full at 180 and shut back off at 175 so I spend most of the time between 175-180 on the street.

On my truck this is more than adequate to keep it warm and comfortable in the cab with the heat on, even in Northern Ohio and Michigan. Maybe if you like it sauna-hot you will have issues but it's fine for me with no trouble defrosting the windows quickly when necessary.

With the help of Chris at HPTuners I now have my fans enabled to cool the A/C condensor when it's on at low vehicle speeds and ECT's are still below the fans-on threshold. This should help A/C performance in the hot months. We'll see then. :chevy:

What about putting a t-stat in the 06SSTB.  a guy said that there is no need to change it out on these motors because the gauge may read 210 but is actually 185-195.  Is this correct?  And wouldnt it benefit from one anyway?

the gauge has no control over how hot the motor runs. that guy is a moron, no offense.

the temp gauge in my 99 camaro does work like that, it will stay at 210 unless the temp actually goes below about 165. that doesn't mean the engine doesn't run at 180. I'm not sure if the SSS's gauges are also like that, but I'm guessing they are

What about putting a t-stat in the 06SSTB.  a guy said that there is no need to change it out on these motors because the gauge may read 210 but is actually 185-195.  Is this correct?  And wouldnt it benefit from one anyway?

the gauge has no control over how hot the motor runs. that guy is a moron, no offense.

the temp gauge in my 99 camaro does work like that, it will stay at 210 unless the temp actually goes below about 165. that doesn't mean the engine doesn't run at 180. I'm not sure if the SSS's gauges are also like that, but I'm guessing they are

I agree. My gauges in the truck are not like that. They aren't 100% accurate, if the temp I'm logging is the more correct. The difference is not linear either, or it doesn't stay "off" the same throughout the temp range.

I'd replace the coolant...I was at the dealer and they offered to flush mine at 36,000. I asked the mechanic "I thought Dex-cool was a permanent 100k mile anit-freeze? He just smiled, and I said yeah I know I'm planning on doing it myself. I would replace/change the coolant if you're draining it anyway...dexcool is know to plug up heater cores and eat intake gaskets (at least it used to) when you leave it unchanged.

Dave

Archived