will a 160 degree thermo hurt heating?

blk02gmc

Yes, the climate control is cooler with the 160-degree thermostat, the heater in my SS was never the warmest in the first place and now it is luke warm unless you really do an extended WOT blast; to do this *right* a guy should install the super-duper GM north-pole duty heater core (runs hotter than normal core) when installing the low-temp thermostat, but I'm not that eager to rip into the dash...

Mr. P. :)

I've been OK so far, been down to about 10* outside...although I have a reg cab and less cabin to try and heat, and neoprene seat covers which don't get as cold as leather. I also start my truck up about 5 to 10 minutes before I leave for work in the am. One thing that I have noticed with running 160* thermostats through the years, the heat actually comes up faster than with the factory stat, even though it may not have the same intensity at full operating temp. My hypothesis is that since the coolant is circulating sooner due to the t-stat opening sooner, it is moving through the heater core sooner.

the biggest thing i've learned about cold weather and the colder stat is to never turn the fan on high. running the fan on high will only cool off the heater core. that's too much air for that cool of a core. never try to run the fan much past about 3 on the selectable. the auto systems work ok since they will run it on high, but only for a few minutes.

well since it does affect heat...Does this mean colder a/c???

No. Doesn't work that way. The main thing that affects your truck's a/c is how well you're forcing air through your condensor.

Underdrive pulleys will hurt ya in the A/C department. :sigh:

I would think that that motor would benefit from a lower stat as any other motor would. Some gauges may read a little off, but mine have never been that far off. Also, some read higher than what the PCM sees, others I've seen lower and at different times.

Are there 180 stats available for all/any years for some sort of middle ground???

A 160-stat will have your engine running at about 180-185 most of the time. Unless you have electric fans and can adjust the on/off temperatures to keep it at a different temperature (roughly anywhere between 178-198 is possible).

Archived