Perfectly Fine in the Snow?!

Grim_Smoker

This is more generated towards the members that drive their trucks in the snow. I've read many posts where people say "My SS is in winter storage". Is the SS not a truck? Is the SS and it's AWD not a truck capable of the snow? I read the post by SSGAL or WTF ever her name was...not being happy with the performance of the SS in the snow in completely stock form......I'm sorry, but that conclusion is just retarded. These stock tires aren't meant for snow, plain and simple, whether 4WD or AWD is in the mix. However this is the second winter I've been in with the stock tires and I've never had a problem.

I had a 2k3 H2 for about a year, which I loved! The H2 was loads of fun and could do LOTS off road, however it wasn't for me and traded it for my SS. However my SS drives around in 8"-12" of snow no problem in stock form. No idea what anyone else has problem with, but as long as you drive around with a brain, ther won't be any problems.

Dunno what the original poster was talking about, first snow storm....how much snow? I don't care if I get stuck.....yet I've had no problem driving through 6"-12" of snow...now problem with stock tires....Of course the stock tires are meant for the road. Get yourself some snow tires, but I've been in plenty of deep snow in Connecticut, so don't complain.

The www.tirerack.com has survey rating on tires and our stock tire has a Snow Traction rating of 5.2 out of a possible 10. Not what I'd call a winter tire at all. I put on a set of Les Schwab WinterCat (same tire as the Cooper "Discoverer M&S") snow tires and there is no comparison.

The www.tirerack.com has survey rating on tires and our stock tire has a Snow Traction rating of 5.2 out of a possible 10. Not what I'd call a winter tire at all. I put on a set of Les Schwab WinterCat (same tire as the Cooper "Discoverer M&S") snow tires and there is no comparison.

Yea, the GoodYears aren't the best in adverse conditions. My BFG AT's are great, but I'm not sure if they make em in a 20 for you SS guys and gals. The Bridgestone Blizzak is a great winter tire also. When I put on my Gibbs 20's and lower my truck, I plan on getting a comparable winter tire to mount on my factory 16's for the winter. Gonna go with 285/50 20 in the summer and 275/70 16 in the winter.

creederado, a member at performancetrucks.net, just got an 03 SS and posted up some pics of his winter set-up, which I believe is on factory 17's. Here's the link:

http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=353779

First of all smartass, I'm not a retard. Secondly, I KNOW how to drive. This isn't my first vehicle and I've probably been driving a lot longer than some of you. And it wasn't so much driving in the snow, I was trying to back up and pull into my garage, on a slight incline. I only had about less than ten feet to go but when I backed up and tried to pull forward, the tires spun. I had it in low gear and was very easy on the throttle (the last thing I wanted was to spin my tires, I baby my truck). Every time I backed up or pulled forward, I just kept sliding and spinning. I can see trying to drive fast on a snowy road with the tires would be plain stupid but from a stop trying to pull into a driveway and not able to is a different story, even with tires not really rated for snow. I thought with the AWD, I wouldn't have that problem but I did.

And if you read the whole thread, you'd see there were many people who agreed with me. I just think it's pretty stupid to make the truck AWD in the first place and then put tires not rated for snow on it. WTF?

And if you read the whole thread, you'd see there were many people who agreed with me. I just think it's pretty stupid to make the truck AWD in the first place and then put tires not rated for snow on it. WTF?

Who says AWD means offroad or 4 Wheel drive??? Then why put off road tires on it? AWD on these trucks were intended to be stoplight street sleepers...not all weather all season driver I assure you, but like most on here I have been driving mine all winter and let me tell you Michigan has gotten pounded so far this year. I have had no problem what so ever.

Did it rain before the snow ... or melt a little? That might have been what was giving you some trouble too ... if it is icy under the snow ... then the powder snow on top ... it is a bitch to try and get traction. Being on the incline it is tough to get traction without momentum to begin with...then add ice underneath....

Just try a little more speed or if you want to ... new tires. Don't worry about the comments on this board ... snow sucks and it doesn't matter what truck you have if the conditions are shitty. Its all about experience ( not driving .... but driving in the SS ) ... the AWD does kick ass...but the wide tires are not ideal ... and the tread pattern makes it tougher also .... you can make it work though! Keep your chin up.

First of all smartass, I'm not a retard.  Secondly, I KNOW how to drive.  This isn't my first vehicle and I've probably been driving a lot longer than some of you.  And it wasn't so much driving in the snow, I was trying to back up and pull into my garage, on a slight incline.  I only had about less than ten feet to go but when I backed up and tried to pull forward, the tires spun.  I had it in low gear and was very easy on the throttle (the last thing I wanted was to spin my tires, I baby my truck).  Every time I backed up or pulled forward, I just kept sliding and spinning.  I can see trying to drive fast on a snowy road with the tires would be plain stupid but from a stop trying to pull into a driveway and not able to is a different story, even with tires not really rated for snow.  I thought with the AWD, I wouldn't have that problem but I did.

And if you read the whole thread, you'd see there were many people who agreed with me.  I just think it's pretty stupid to make the truck AWD in the first place and then put tires not rated for snow on it.  WTF?

I wouldnt sweat it chevygal, while i dont own a ss i do own a z71 model that has pretty much the same overall dimensions and weight.I also live where my driveway is at about a 45* angle upwards, and untill recently with the addition of bfg ko tires.I would have to shovel and salt before i could get that pig up and into position on my driveway in over 6-7" of snow even in 4x4 mode.

The best thing to do is shovel and salt before you bring it up the driveway or go spend the cash for a set of good winter treads.Alot of times to it just takes a few times to get use to a new rig and after little trial & error you get the hang of it. :chevy:

I agree with Buyfire. Stoppping or turning with the OE 20 inch tires in wet snow or on ice leaves much to be desired. As far as snow rated tires, any tire can have a snow rating, but that doesn't mean it's a "snow tire". IMO Everyone that lives where it snows should put on snow tires. I can't count how many times I've heard people complain about someone driving faster then them on the snow and then say "They can't stop any faster then me". Thats BS if you have snow tires on. A real snow tire has a softer rubber compound designed to bite the slippery surface.

Why are intersections so slippery?? Because everyone with all-season (snow rated) tires can't get any traction and they spin and polish the snow into ice.

A friend of mine just put Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires on his 2004 GTO. He said he couldn't believe the control he gained. He could accelerate better, turn better, and stop. Granted the OE tires on the GTO aren't even close to snow tires, but the car was useless before the snow tires.

I bought some used 16 inch wheels from a 1999 Chevy K1500 and mounted snow tires on them. They work great and my SS is a blast to drive in the snow. Plus it saves my 20 inchers from all the salt they dump on the roads.

First off the stock tires suck in snow!! Everytime the snow plow comes I have 12-14 inches of snow in my driveway, the SS sinks and spins everytime no matter what I do. Then to get through it I have to rag the heck out of the truck. My z71 goes through the same conditions without a prob. The tires on the z71 are actually made with snow and other conditions in mind. Turning with the stock SS tires is aweful too, it is like you are on ice. Snow driving was one of the many factors of me getting rid of the SS.

Brandon

Archived