HOW TO PICTORAL: Hardwire a radar detector!

SinisterSS

Here's the pictoral walk through on how to hard wire your radar detector into your SS. No splicing of the factory harness is requied and the detector will automatically turn off! What could be better? ;)

Step 1. Use a philips screw driver to remove the screw from the overhead map light assembly.

ssde1.jpg

Step2. Wiggle the map light assembly around and gently pull down to release the two rear clips.

ssde2.jpg

Step 3. Lift up on the little tab on the map light connector and unplug the harness.

ssde3.jpg

Step 4. Remove the tape from the factory splices on the orange and yellow wires.

ORANGE = + 12 VDC

YELLOW = GROUND

ssde4.jpg

Step 5. Plug your detector into the cigarette lighter (without the detector) and use a voltmeter to determine if the outside or inside of the detector plug is the ground. Typically, the outside of the detector plug is the ground - but double check yours, don't take my word for it!

My detector cord was removed from my previous truck and already has the cigarette plug cut off. If this is the case for yours, place one lead of an ohmmeter on the outside of the plug and the other lead to the end of the wire - this will determine which wire is connected to the outside of the plug and thus the ground wire in my case.

ssde5.jpg

Step 6. Now that we know which wire is which (+/-), wrap the positive wire around the factory orange wire splice. Next wrap the ground wire around the factory yellow wire splice. Then wrap the splices with electrical tape.

ORANGE = + 12 VDC

YELLOW = GROUND

ssde6.jpg

Step 7. Plug the map light connector back in, plug the radar detector in and double check to make sure everything is functioning properly.

On '99 - '02 trucks, the detector will automatically come on when the door is opened and automatically shutoff nine minutes after the key is turned off.

On our '03 trucks with the new multiplexed electrical system, to turn the detector on, quickly click the map light switch on and then off. This will turn on the detector. Once on, the truck will automatically turn the detector back off nine minutes after the key is turned off.

ssde7.jpg

Step 8. Route the plug end of the detector cord to the front windshield by pushing it through the headliner. Any extra detector cord can be hidden up inside the map light assembly. If your detector cord has an inline fuse, go ahead and leave it in and wire it up. My fuse got "lost" over two years ago and I'm banking on the map light fuse to open the circuit if there ever was a short.

ssde8.jpg

Step 9. Unclip the factory mirror harness cover by pushing up on the little saddle clips. This will allow enough wiggle room of the factory harness cover to route the detector wires through. Once routed, tape the detector wire to the factory mirror harness to secure.

ssde9.jpg

Step 10. Insert the map light assembly back into the two clips and attach with the screw removed in Step 1. That's it! Doesn't this make for a clean looking installation? :cool:

ssde10.jpg

Would someone please give me a Valentine1 detector so I could do this pictoral in style? :D

:cheers:

In the title for this thread, please disregard the auto-on, unless you have a 99-02!  :thumbs:

Awesome! Thanks a ton man! So in the SS you have turn it on but it automatically turns off? Am I understanding that right? You don't have to turn on the lights to make it work do ya? Gonna have to do it this way. Much easier and cleaner than routing to the fuse box.

Great job! That's what this website and a few individuals in particular help out with tremendously! Walk through... :thumbs: ... :pop:

I am going to cut up the roof as well in the future, but will be putting in the OEM sunroof when it becomes available at the end of the year, Yippy! :)

:thumbs:VERY nice! :thumbs:

Just found out, BTW, for those of you who don't have the V1 yet...

If you call Valentine, you can ask for a "vacation model", that is, a detector that was sent back to the mfr w/in 30 days. They will sell these models, with all parts, updated software, and shipping for about $50 - $75 less than a "brand new one". Just found out from a buddy at work that got one for his ZO6, just FYI. :eek:

Archived