Planning a Drop

Silvsteve

I know a lot of you have already gone through this and I have read the multiple threads. This is what I am planning:

Belltech Rear Shackle Kit - 2" $44.95 1b7e75c067c10713fdc77086b984accd.jpg

Belltech Torsion Key $129.95

Belltech Bump Stops $12.95 to $19.95

Belltech Pinion Shims $19.95

And while I am down there I will probably install some helper springs and a rear sway bar!

lp15.gif

7636.gif

Ok now for the questions!

Why should I use a torsion key instead of just cranking the torsion bars?

What size bump stops should I get and where are these things on my truck now? Couldn't find em. :)

How do the pinion shims install? Any idea what degree I would need?

Has anyone used the helper springs? Are they as good as they sound?

By the time I am done with all my ignorance this site will be a huge knowledge resource!

Thanks in Advance! :cheers:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why should I use a torsion key instead of just cranking the torsion bars?

I don't know either but I guess it's because you might get some more drop. Personally I got 1 1/2" in the front with the stock ones. I guess if you want to go lower you have to get new ones. It may keep it a the stock torque and therefore keep the same ride. It is a little softer with the lowering in the front.

What size bump stops should I get and where are these things on my truck now? Couldn't find em. :)

Front bumpstop on the lower/rear A-Frame, about 2" in diameter and are made of rubber

Rear bumpstop right above where the rear end connects to the springs

How do the pinion shims install? Any idea what degree I would need?

I ended up using a 4 degree, I might try a 6 degree later on to see how that does. They go between the spring and axle perch. Just measure the transmission/axle angles before you start and try to duplicate those numbers.

Has anyone used the helper springs? Are they as good as they sound?

Unless you are hauling, I don't see the need for them. I could be wrong.

They replaced the stock shocks and used their own , which are pretty nice. they ride real soft and the handling is good. as for the shackles i am not sure about your question. I believe that their shackles are longer than the belltech ones. dont hold me to that. They did a lot of work to get mine right and i believe that their kit is just right. i will be posting some pictures here shortly.

Dropping my SS is one of the few things that I had planned on doing to this truck.

Of those of you that have done it, have you had any problems with the AWD? Will the dealership give me a bunch of crap if I take it in for warranty work? And last but not least HOW MUCH?

Archived