Z06 cam in SS???

I'm working a plan to get a low mileage used '02 Z06 cam for 100 bucks shipped. I got a set of 12,000 mile '02 Z06 springs for 50 bucks off of Ebay (plus 5 dollar off holiday coupon, thanks Paypal!!!)... So for 150 bucks, does this sound like a good deal for me to go through with for the SSS?

I know, I know... there are bigger cams out there that will make more power, but I want something still on the mild side to make tuning a bit easier for the time being (PCMforless mail ordering and don't want to go back and forth to many times) and still keep a respectable idle.

A couple of people on here have posted about using it. If you go to truck performance.net, believe you will find quite a few running it on there.

I would be a litte skeptical about ebay valve springs, but that is just me.

If I remember right about the specs of the cam, you'll want a stall to go with it.

Thanks for the replies guys. I do have the TB converter (and a few other trans upgrades) going in to be able to support a mild cam upgrade, so we're fine there.

As for the springs, they will be tested prior to installation (as all springs should be, even new ones). Knowing Z06 owners are usually a better class of people than the average EBay scammer, hopefully I don't have any problem with 12,000 mile springs. If I do, there will be EBay action taken. The seller is registered on a couple of the vette boards though, so hopefully he takes selling on EBay as serious as I do, or his E-name will be slandered all over his BB's.

:devil:

As for the cam itself... still up in the air about Z06 vs. a mild aftermarket grind. Is there something out there with similar lift, but slightly longer duration? I want to stay with something in the 114 or more separation (depending on centerline of the grind) to keep the idle good for year round daily driver status.

Those Dart heads still sound fun too...

Assuming you are talking about the 2002 LS6 C5 Cam (204/218-.551/.547-117.5) most of the good aftermarket grinds are more in the .575-.580 range, the LQ9 heads can put that extra lift area to good use. Not dissin' this cam, but the only reason I would even consider it would be for use on a turbocharged vehicle.

You can get a lot more bang by going to a grind with a 114-LC, it will sound a bit racier but as long as the duration is not crazy it will still have good low-speed manners. And as you already have the TB converter, you can use a bit more duration than this cam offers, I would shoot for 220, maybe even mid-220's in duration. If you have stock manifolds/cats then you will definitely want a split-pattern cam (the exhaust has another 6-8 degrees exhaust duration); if you have a free-flowing exhaust then you will probably be better off with a single-pattern cam.

Know in what I suggesting here I am assuming that you will have the PCM tuned properly afterwards -

My personal favorite grinds right now are the LG Motorsports ones - consider the G5X or G5X1 cam; I've seen a couple video clips of the G5X1 cam in action and it is not that rowdy at all (by my taste :D) and is a solid 400+ rwhp performer. I would even consider the G5X2 cam as well, but I like big cams and that one might be more racy at idle than some prefer.

Comp Cams also sells a knock-off of the LGM G5X2 cam but on a 115-degree LC (intended for use on turbocharged vehicles) and that is also a great cam, now I'm going by memory here but I think it is part 54-000-11, it lists for $470 :eek:

Also, Futral Motorsports has a few teriffic grinds as well, and they might not make as much sheer HP as comparable LGM grinds but the idle is *much* more docile. Juding just by the numbers alone they appear as though they are best intended for use with free-flowing exhaust. With the TB converter and 4.10 gears I would not be afraid to run any of the FMS cams, including the F14. Again, I like big cams!

The Thunder Racing grinds are a little 'dated' for me but are proven performers, and they have a couple grinds that run pretty hard but do not sound very 'cammy' especially their 'old man cam'.

You can call any of the three companies and I am positive they will be eager to tell you what their suggestions/experiences are.

As for the Comp, Crane, etc I myself just start searching the net for sound/video clips, there are actually quite a few posted if you search hard enough.

Mr. P. :)

edit - so, key questions are what kind of idle are you really looking for, and what kind of gas mileage changes are you willing to live with, and what kind of valvespring life are you willing to life with? These considerations will help narrow the field.

Assuming you are talking about the 2002 LS6 C5 Cam (204/218-.551/.547-117.5) most of the good aftermarket grinds are more in the .575-.580 range, the LQ9 heads can put that extra lift area to good use.  Not dissin' this cam, but the only reason I would even consider it would be for use on a turbocharged vehicle.

Yup, the '02 is the one I want. Do you have any flow data on LQ9 heads? I've been searching the net and coming up empty...

You can get a lot more bang by going to a grind with a 114-LC, it will sound a bit racier but as long as the duration is not crazy it will still have good low-speed manners.  And as you already have the TB converter, you can use a bit more duration than this cam offers, I would shoot for 220, maybe even mid-220's in duration.  If you have stock manifolds/cats then you will definitely want a split-pattern cam (the exhaust has another 6-8 degrees exhaust duration); if you have a free-flowing exhaust then you will probably be better off with a single-pattern cam.

Know in what I suggesting here I am assuming that you will have the PCM tuned properly afterwards -

Thanks for the tip on that cam, but before choosing one (stock z06 or aftermarket)I'll need to find those flow specs, plus finding one within a cheap bastard's budject (i.e. cheap, and probably used). I'll have long tube headers sometime down the line, but not right now as the bank book is getting thin this Christmas season.

PCM is tuned now and will be for future mods as well though. :cool:

edit - so, key questions are what kind of idle are you really looking for, and what kind of gas mileage changes are you willing to live with, and what kind of valvespring life are you willing to life with?  These considerations will help narrow the field.

I want it to have a 3,000 RPM lumpity idle like a Pro-Stock car, get 30 MPG city, and live forever on the stock valvesprings. Can you help me? :jester:

Seriously, there aren't a lot of options when you want to stay rather mild. I don't want to kill everything on the street, just add a few more ponies without breaking the bank.

Seriously, there aren't a lot of options when you want to stay rather mild. I don't want to kill everything on the street, just add a few more ponies without breaking the bank.

Just had another thought - what about the Z06 cam but with higher-ratio rocker arms to add a bit more lift and duration???

Just had another thought - what about the Z06 cam but with higher-ratio rocker arms to add a bit more lift and duration???

Can the Z06 springs handle more lift/duration that the 1.8 rr's would make? I thought they were pretty much maxed out on the stock '02 z06 cam's lift numbers? Or did I mix up '01 z06 spring limits with '02 cam lift numbers??? I guess what I'm saying is, what are the max lift specs for the '02 z06 springs? Should I be checking for a bind limit when I check seat pressure, or should I consider a lower number before I reach bind for my lift limit?

Archived