LS6 Heads on LQ9

SS710

I am interested in doing an LS6 head swap on an LQ9, would I be able to keep my stock intake/exhaust manifolds, what type of head gasket would I need, etc etc. Also any cam recommendation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Welcome! The LS6 head is 64cc,Which is going to up the compression a alot.It will put you over 11:1 which won't be very pump gas freindly. Everything else will bolt up without a problem. The flow numbers on the 6.0 head and the LS6 head are very close, they are almost the same head. The 6.0 head just has a 71 cc chamber.

What are your goals? Cam selection is very hard.

Welcome!  The LS6 head is 64cc,Which is going to up the compression a alot.It will put you over 11:1 which won't be very pump gas freindly. Everything else will bolt up without a problem. The flow numbers on the 6.0 head and the LS6 head are very close, they are almost the same head. The 6.0 head just has a 71 cc chamber.

What are your goals? Cam selection is very hard.

:withstupid: These head are nearly port-for-port identical; unless you want the increase in compression I would not recommend the swap. OTOH 11.5:1 compression + 100-octane + rowdy cam = :driving:

Mr. P. :)

sounds like a fun swap to me. you'd just want to use the stock GM (and only GM) replacement head gaskets. everything else should bolt up like it came that way. i like the extra compression. there is a guy on here with LS6 heads and a radix. the job is workable as long as you have the right camshaft. i'd recomend this cam or something similar.

Comp Cams XER273HR

224/[email protected] Duration

.581"/.588" Valve lift with stock rockers

114º LSA

with the programming right you should be able to make some really strong power all over the board. you will need a good stall converter though. no less than 2800. the tb converter only stalls to around 2600 behind the 6.0L in N/A form so it wouldn't cover it. you'd have to go with a real aftermarket stall. you certainly wouldn't want to perform the swap to the LS6 heads though without going with the right cam or your cylinder pressure will end up so high that you won't be able to run much timing without race fuel present. with the right cam though and some good LS6 heads, you'd have one fun LQ9. :thumbs:

As per Zippy I have LS6 heads and a Radix. My effective compression ratio under boost is probably around 17:1. No problem with intercooling, enough fueling and the right tune.

Heck even guys with stock LQ9 heads and blowers are probably effectively running at 15:1 or higher.

It's a little different than N/A from the standpoint of engine wear as you're only at these levels when under max boost, but I agree with BenKey that you don't need to worry about detonation at around 11:1 on 93 octane if a/f and timing are right (and I have Zippy to thank for that).

I chose LS6 heads because I knew that I would only get about 8-9 psi max boost from the Radix on a 6.0, and wanted to push the static compression side of things to maximize power. Performance off boost is also very snappy coupled with the LPE GT2-3 cam I am running.

Chevrolet used LS6 heads and cam in the LQ9 for the Silverado Speedway Edition prototype and got the 417 HP through I believe stock truck intake and exhaust manifolds. C/R was 10.8:1 with the flat top pistons, approximately the same as on the LS2. You can make good power just using factory parts from the General. :chevy:

Archived