update on twin turbo setup

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really interested, and the more I look your kit over the more questions I have:

What brand/model are the turbos? are they 50mm? 57mm? Are the turbos just oil-cooled? or water-cooled as well?

How thick/what guage is the header tubing? I assume all manifolding is mild steel, not stainless? Are any parts coated? The 1/2-inch flanges are great but what is the possibility of warpage of the thin mild steel manifold header tubing?

You mentioned you were going to fashion-up some shielding, will this adequately protect the adjacent brake system, electrical, and hood? Am I going to have to buy spark plug boot shields?

Are the e-fans the '05+ GM units? Will you also include the wiring harness so all I have to do is enable them in the PCM programming?

What kind of boost controller are you using?

Do the installed turbos block valve cover access? Do I have to remove the turbos to get to the upper valvetrain?

Did you have to relocate the PCM? or anything else?

What BOVs are you using?

What are the dimensions of the intercooler?

Where did you tap the engine for the pressurized oil feed, and what did you do for the oil return, did you plumb straight back to the oil pan?

Thanks in advance for suffering my questions - inquiring minds want to know!

Mr. P. :)

The turbos are from Bullseye Power. They are close to home and manufacture their own parts and supply many of the other turbo companies. The models we used are the TO4B V-trim with internal wastegates and are oil cooled.

We used 16 gauge mild steel header tubing. This is slightly thicker than most header tubing kits. The base kit will not be coating but it will be an option that is available.

The heat shields will definately be enough to do the trick. My friends twin turbo kit on his mustang has similar shields and has been fine for 5 years now. His turbos are also much closer to his master cylinder than ours are. Plug wire protectors will be included.

The fans are off from 99'-02' Grand Prixs and will come with a reistat style controller with all required wiring.

HBC is the manufacturer of the boost controller and is good up to 30 psi. They also offer an "in cab" control that can be purchased seperately to go along with it.

I haven't tried to remove the valve covers with the turbos installed but it looks like it will not be an issue.

The PCM is relocated but does not need to have the harness lengthened. It just moves closer to the side of the battery.

We are using the "Godzilla" BOV, but due to the higher cost, haven't decided which one we will include in the kit. We want to keep the kit as reasonable as possible.

The intercooler is 3" In/Out but I will have to get exact measurements for the over-all dimensions. It is roughly 24"X36".

We used the Transdapt product that goes between your oil filter and the block for our feed and return. The feed lines are dual 4AN and the returns are dual 8 AN and all steel braid with aeromotive aluminum fittings. No drilling will be required.

Hopefully this answered most of your questions. The kit is 90% complete and should be finished up next week for sure. We will be posting pics of the oil system components probably this weekend.

Thanks for your interest,

Brett

• 2 weeks later...

here is the final pic before we fire the truck up.. as you can see we used an oil filter sandwhich for the lines to go into instead of tapping the oil pan. these lines turned out very nice. steel braided. in my opinion this is the way all kits should come. i have seen some kits that use rubber hose that will crack over time. these will last a long time!! also we decided to use msd 8.5 wires.. hopefully this week we should have a clip on here of the truck running.

post-6405-1134347069_thumb.jpg

I dont know if this question was answered already so imma ask...

With this set up along with a freeflowing exhaust and tune, what kinda hp and tq numbers are you expecting to see? Just an estimate... AAAAAHHHHH cant wait!

Definately need to get some pricing on this setup! I am working on getting an SS right now and want something to bolt on and go. Hopefully the price is decent, and I am curious if you are going to give options on lots of teh parts!? Perhaps TIAL BOVs/WGs and others... also optional turbos for those who want something small and don't plan on upgrading!

Archived