TB convertor p#

I found out that the SS TB has the same converter as the regular TB, what this does with the 6.0 LS2 and stall speed im not sure? :dunno:

this is not correct. the SS TB uses a different converter than the other TB's.

with the 408, the common TB converter we are all familier with will stall around 2800-3000. the stock SSS converter would likely stall to around 2200-2400 with the 408. these are flash stall numbers which is all that counts. foot brake stall numbers are useless to any real driving.

Zipp, would the TB TC even be worth it in a mostly stock SS (Fully billet servos, PCMforless tune, exhaust and Volant)?  Thanks in advance. :thumbs:

hell yes, it's more than worth it even on a stock SSS.

as for the towing capacity with the trailblazer converter, according to my sources a silverado SS should have the towing capacity of around 5500lbs as long as the towing is highway related. city type towing rely's on the converter to have to lock in and out constantly and that can be taxing on even the stock converter under normal towing usage. now the towing capacity of the SSS at the 5500 i list is with one driver and a full tank of fuel only. this does not mean with a loaded bed and full passengers. misterp put it best in describing the towing abilities by calculation. my only reason in saying the SS can tow a bit more than the number he stated is simply based on some info i have directly relating to the tb 4.2L converter and it's clutch abilities. for anyone considering towing though, i highly recomend the 05' and newer version of the tb converter. this version has the strongest clutch system of the 3 part numbers listed and is a touch tighter on the stall speed by about 50-100. for stock use of the tb converter and not towing, the stock cooler is sufficient as long as you are driving normal and aren't repeatedly standing into the throttle. 2 to 3 passes wide open would require some driving at a speed fast enough to lock in the converter and get some air past the cooler. for any "spirited" driving or towing usage i recomend the cooler be upgraded and for those in "hot" climates i highly recomend the use of a cooler with a fan on it.

Archived