After market Gauge lights

cadowns

Well fellows, I spent a morning on something that should have taken 30 minutes. I thought I would share a few thoughts on connecting a simple gauge light to work with the dash lights.

This questions has been asked in another thread http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9825

But for whatever reason I had trouble locating the wire to connect to. I will list the steps as best as I can remember them and let the rest of you add to this as needed.

1. Remove the fuse panel cover on the left of the dash.

2. Remove the 2 hex head screws holding the lower dash cover in place, and remove the cover.

3. Pop off the dash bezel around the instrument cluster, starting at the lower left corner working your way to the right.

4. Using a straight blade screw driver, release the headlight switch from its housing.

5. With the switch loose, unplug the multi-wire connector from the rear of the switch.

6. You will now find that if you route the light wiring harness out to the left you will have some extra working room.

7. With the plug exposed, locate the BROWN/WHITE stripped wire. This wire is connected to the brightness control for the dash lights on the switch.

8. If you want the test things, plug the switch in place, turn on the head lights, turn on the ignition switch, and measure the voltage while rotating the brightness control. You will see that the voltage goes from 12 to 0.

9. Now turn everything off and make your connection to the Brown/White wire with whatever gauge light you are installing. I soldered mine.

10. You can also pick up a Ground connection by using one of the studs at the edge of the fuse cover that has a 10mm nut on it. I just added a nut to secure a lug on my ground wire at this point.

11. Re-route your switch harness and re-assemble everything in reverse order.

I don’t have digi camera so I was not able to give you pictures, but knowing what wire to tap was my problem.

Thanks

CD

Isn't there a plug-in under the dash in the power distribution center that powers up when you turn on the lights? I know on the old cars there was a spot in the fuse box marked LPS and that's where I hook up the gauge lights on my old cars. I'll have to look under the dash to check. Great info though!!

Dave

Now you do this... :banghead:

I cut the entire plug off in an effort to map all of the wires. There are actually a few wires that will work. There is a gray wire that will go from 0 - 8 volts if you want to dim the gauge lights a little more. The dimmer wheel will still control the gauge lights.

Great How To!! :thumbs:

Archived