95 hp gain from a lq9 post on perftruck.

"Was at Nickens Brothers Racing in Conroe yesterday for a retune and deletion of all torque management by Allen Nelson.

He tunes for them.

Anyways, as I waited for him to finish up what he was doing I just couldn't help but noticing about 5-6 crate LQ9 motors and 3-4 LS1 382 stroker crate motors siting in the their shop. All awaiting mods of some sort and of course Allen tunning them.

So I asked one of the team's mechanics working with Nelson what the HP output has been from the LQ9 has been.

He told me that they just did a simple cam swap and a Nelson tune (only) and gained 95 HP !!

He said it produced 440 HP on the engine dyno. I was so overwhelmed that I forgot to ask about the TQ #'s.

He and Allen said that the idle was faintly lopey, but had an excelent everyday driver idle. He said they could have went with a more radical cam, but wanted to make the most out of a cam that could be used for an everyday driver.

They of course would not give out the cams grind.

Allen told me he could get the cam and install it, but not sell it out without installing it himself. I really wouldn't want it any other way. I would also need a retune to go along with it, plus put on a chasis dyno.

I've already spoke with Allen and will be doing this next year with a head change to get 490-500 HP @ the motor. Allen told me the projected #'s.

I really can't wait, as I like this route over the Magna-charger.

Too bad the cam grind will not be accessible to others who may want to do this.

Oh yeah, my retune gets a thumbs up! It was impressive again without the TM in the way! "

http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=350581

it seems to be the 224 comp cam and tune

pretty gain though

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Light lope in idle I can believe, good street manners I can believe especially if they elected a 220-ish single pattern cam. Don't get me wrong, a cam in the mid 220s is what I would probably choose for a hot street truck still using factory converter, but I'm skeptical on the HP claim, I would expect somewhere around the 410-420 area :dunno: assuming +CAI +catback +headers +tuning +increased fuel pressure. You sure they didn't massage the heads or ??? Or maybe their dyno baseline was off, or something...

Mr. P. :)

Light lope in idle I can believe, good street manners I can believe especially if they elected a 220-ish single pattern cam.  Don't get me wrong, a cam in the mid 220s is what I would probably choose for a hot street truck still using factory converter, but I'm skeptical on the HP claim, I would expect somewhere around the 410-420 area  :dunno: assuming +CAI +catback +headers +tuning +increased fuel pressure.  You sure they didn't massage the heads or ???  Or maybe their dyno baseline was off, or something...

that's what I thought

it seemed a little high to me too!

i hope to hear more about it

Dustyn

Tell ya what, I will get my stock VHO on the Dyno with Allen next week when I get my tune. And then get him to install the cam in mine instead of the STS since it will be a heck of a lot cheaper. And then Dyno my Sleeper again after the cam.

Will dyno slips on his dyno be enough?????

Just a thought...... He really can do what he says, he did my other truck and pulled some awesome changes out of it. :thumbs:

YES PLEASE DO :thumbs::thumbs: . The mid-220 TR & Comp cams have gotten a lot of interest here lately and I would have done it by now except I am spending my money on other priorities :sigh: A lot of folks here would love to hear what the truck behaves like and mileage, dyno numbers, times, etc. It might also benefit Allen Nelson's rep a little...

Tell ya what, I will get my stock VHO on the Dyno with Allen next week when I get my tune.  And then get him to install the cam in mine instead of the STS since it will be a heck of a lot cheaper.  And then Dyno my Sleeper again after the cam.

Will dyno slips on his dyno be enough????? 

Just a thought......  He really can do what he says, he did my other truck and pulled some awesome changes out of it. :thumbs:

please do i would be very interested

in the results :thumbs:

Dustyn

This is good news! I've been wanting to try a cam for the longest time, as I have finally accepted the fact that I will not be able to supercharge anytime soon. (By that I mean for YEARS what with the kids, orthodontist visits, college fund etc... :sigh: )

In any case, I made the call to Allen (Nelson) yesterday and told him I wanted to go ahead with it. He did my tune a year and a half ago and it has been phenomenal, as well as the follow up and ease of re-adjustments. My best time so far is 14.2 (NA) with just bolt-ons and a torque convertor) He is going to call me back today with a price for the cam with his custom grind and the kit including springs, rods and gasket. I will let you all know how it goes as I will be trying to do the install myself, mainly due to Ben's advice and encouragement through his many posts on the forum. (This will be my first "inside the engine" experience, I'm a little nervous!)

I asked Allen about the "secret designation of his grind/specs and the comments above regarding only selling the cam if he installed it himself...and he laughed. That information is apparently incorrect, if well-meaning, and some kind of a misperception he doesn't really understand. He WILL sell the cam and there is no requirement that he install it, on the contrary. He also added that there is nothing "secret" about the grind, that it is essentially a 224/226 .580 lift, 114, with some custom specs which he will explain when he calls back with the price. He also stated that stock rockers were fine with it, as well as the stock retainers.

I will keep you all posted as things develop. BTW, I've been off the board for almost a year and haven't spoken to anybody since the SS meet in Whichita due to school and other constraints so...It's good to be back in the thick of things again! :D 13 seconds, here I come! :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
Any good news yet?

did you get the cam in?

Actually...no good news yet. I'm pretty frustrated! I've been trying unsuccessfully to work out the details with Allen (just need 5 minutes of conversation and some firm answers) and have him order the cam for me but...apparently he's been extremely busy. We've been playing a game of phone tag the last week and a half or so and and I really need to get this cam in soon. I'm trying to make the last 1 or 2 seasonal races at the local dragstrip for the year, but my window of opportunity seems to be slipping away. :banghead: I will try to speak to him again starting Monday morning, so we will see what develops. I will keep you all posted as things develop... :dunno: I was told that there is some sort of issue with the recent price increase (?) from Comp Cams and Nelson's consequentley new prices on the parts involved. I hope he can come through for me or I may have to go through someone else... :sigh:

He is probably out rounding up some of those 95 horses3-Horses-Close-up.jpg

That might be a record for a cam only improvement @95rwph. Nelson hasn't made that claim himself either. But with numbers like that I wouldn't sell the cam without install either :smash:

Archived