What to start with?

Hey guys, I wanted to know what the community thinks gives the best bang for the buck as far as performance parts.  The only thing I have done so far is put in a drop-in K&N air filter.  I was thinking that next would be a power programmer.  But let me know what you think.

-Dan :flag:

[email protected]

Take your intake box off at the MAF. Uncrew the plate that the intake box sat on. Get out your favorite small electric sawzall, and cut a hole in the bottom of your intake box. Took me 20 minutes and I had never seen it before. And IT IS FREE. Now that is bang for your buck. The other guys who made the intake boxes continue to tell us that they are worth 10-20 HP. I know the truck is more responsive even if it has no more ponies which I find hard to believe.

Whacha think?:cheers:

Take your intake box off at the MAF. Uncrew the plate that the intake box sat on. Get out your favorite small electric sawzall, and cut a hole in the bottom of your intake box. Took me 20 minutes and I had never seen it before. And IT IS FREE. Now that is bang for your buck. The other guys who made the intake boxes continue to tell us that they are worth 10-20 HP. I know the truck is more responsive even if it has no more ponies which I find hard to believe.

Whacha think?:cheers:

:eek:

WOULD LIKE TO SEE SOME PICS OF THAT IF AYA COULD POST THAT WOULD BE GREAT!

R/

VMAN :thumbs:

good point LSR, but that also requires new valve springs on an LQ9. i'd say cold air induction, programming (like hypertech, ed wright, westers, etc.), and exhaust would be your starters.

When I race I am going to run a 5" hose from a brake vent to my Air Max intake. I will see if this improves on my times. :confused:

Tim, I McGuyvered my intake and originally placed a 5" tube from the passenger air inlet up to the underside of the intake box. It worked a little bit, but the hole came loose and fell off. When it did, the hole in the bottom of the box actually came alive. I cut the rest of the bottom of the intake box leaving enough to let it sit in the box, and I think it works best this way.

Just my unprofessional, seat of the pants, humble opinion. Nothing factual to substantiate.

Hey guys, I wanted to know what the community thinks gives the best bang for the buck as far as performance parts. The only thing I have done so far is put in a drop-in K&N air filter. I was thinking that next would be a power programmer. But let me know what you think.

-Dan :flag:

[email protected]

Dan, after the free cutting of the bottom of the intake, I really like the idea of the Electric Fans. I just got my truck back with the E-fans installed and WOW what a difference in the WAY the truck responds. Now I also got the TB spacer installed and I still hope to get the under drive pulleys, but the Truck doesn't need my to hold my foot on the accelerator to continue to drive forward like it did when the stock fan was on it. It also does not have that few seconds later, feels like the engine pulls the truck down to a stop, kind of feeling.

Just my perception and humble opinion.

Nitrous definitely makes power... but I had it on my mustang in college 15 years ago and blew up my car and barely escaped. It will be a long time before I do that kind of mod again.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived