HOW-TO: 2/2 simple drop

SS_bnoon_SS

I thought this made it a bit easier.....

Since I was doing this alone I did not want to wrestle with the hitch assembly so I left it in place, I just lowered the side I was working on enough to get room to work.

First I removed all of the horizontal bolts. Then I removed the vertical bolts from the side I was working on. Then I loosened the vertical bolts on the opposite side just enough to lower the hitch out of the way. When the first side was done I replaced the hitch bolts on that side and repeated the process for the other side.

Greg

:cool: BTW, I just wanted to let everyone know, Kyle's truck didn't even require any alignment corrections. He got it inspected and everything was still within spec, so no charge on the alignment check!!! You may just get lucky like he did, but you still need to get it checked.

I thought this made it a bit easier.....

Since I was doing this alone I did not want to wrestle with the hitch assembly so I left it in place, I just lowered the side I was working on enough to get room to work.

First I removed all of the horizontal bolts.  Then I removed the vertical bolts from the side I was working on.  Then I loosened the vertical bolts on the opposite side just enough to lower the hitch out of the way.  When the first side was done I replaced the hitch bolts on that side and repeated the process for the other side.

Greg

Nice tip! I'll add it in above so that people don't miss it if they're attempting this part themselves. :cheers:

• 4 years later...

i know this is five years old, but do you still need the tosion bar puller or gear puller to drop the front? does the truck needed be jacked up and on jack stands, or do you just start cranking on those bolts?

You need to have the front tires off the ground and on stands for safety. This unloads some of the torsion bar tension. You can then try to turn the bolts. If they are hard to turn you need to take off more load with a puller. You don't want to break that bolt. Worked without puller when I did mine.

• 4 years later...

Someone help! Lol. I raised the pumpkin up after the bottom bolt was removed. The top bolt has slid half way out, but I can't get it out. It's flush on the left side, the right is hanging out and is between the bed floor and frame rail. How can I get this damn thing out now??

Archived