Is Everyone Using High Octane Fuel

atomsite

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to clarify something- higher octane will NOT boost HP. All octane does is to prevent pinging (which will result in piston damage). I get a kick out of the people running "race gas" just because they have an older car('72 Skylarks, Novas, etc). Anyone running "racing gas" in their lower compression engines is throwing $$$ away. They think they came from the magical performance age, and their ride needs it- Not unless it is high compression it doesn't. Maybe lead additive to prevent valve damage, but not high octane. Actually, in a low compression engine, race gas will hurt performance because this fuel burns too slow at low comp. As for the SS, it needs it(91 or 93, not race gas). The "performance loss" GM speaks of with lower octane fuel may mislead some to think octane boosts HP, but that is just because the engine is compensating trying to save the pistons. Remember - pinging is an out of time explosion in the cylinder. BAD NEWS. :shakehead:

If the computer senses a specfic amount of detonation it will go into a Power Reduction Mode and it basically runs less ignition timing which equates to less power. It will toggle the Power reduction mode off after it see's a certain amount of fuel added.

:withstupid:

:rolleyes:

I wouldnt even try running less than 91 octane in these things. The compression is too high. with cheap gas you will ping all over the place

Sounds like everyone has their own opinion. :D

Burning regular when the owner's manual specifies premium won't void the warranty, nor damage the engine, even the most finicky automakers say. "You're giving up perhaps just a little bit of performance that a customer wouldn't really even notice, it's so slight," says Furey.

Automakers say they don't test premium engines on regular to check the difference, but some auto engineers estimate that power declines roughly 5%.

:smash:

I am not going to put any stock in something I read in a newspaper. The press these days has little credibility, in my opinion.

Being as my engine is supercharged, 91 octane minimum is what I do. If I ever had to use regular, you can bet I would drive it real easy.

I am not going to put any stock in something I read in a newspaper. The press these days has little credibility, in my opinion.

Being as my engine is supercharged, 91 octane minimum is what I do. If I ever had to use regular, you can bet I would drive it real easy.

I'm with Dave on this one. The guys at whipple must have warned me a dozen times not to put anything less than 91 octane and even go as far as to install a warning light that detects lean fuel. As far as adding higher octane racing fuels......I'm clueless. :crazy:

You shouldn't believe everything you read but that article coincides with everything I have ever seen. By the way, the article does say that you should use higher octane gas in a turbo and supercharged engine for those of you who didn't read the whole thing. Hey, if you can't trust quotes from an engineer then who can you trust to give you accurate information.

Got to run, My wife is in the shower, and I want to watch the show!

I can't believe that no one commented on that one! :crazy: Some times you people disappoint me! :jester:

Justin :chevy:

Justin - to tell you the truth, it was hard. I had something typed out and deleted it before I sent. It was a missed oppurtunity, for sure. :D

Archived