Is Everyone Using High Octane Fuel

atomsite

Lee:

The gas station at the pavilions does have 100 octane for sale. I use to put it in my motorcycle all the time, because it was only 5 gallons. My pockets aren’t deep enough to waste money burning 26 gallons once a week. :crazy: I am planning on going to the pavilions this Saturday so I am going to fill up with the good stuff and see if I can burn out the crap 87 octane I used a couple tanks ago. :nonod: And see if it makes any difference on gas mileage and performance. :)

You go boy :thumbs:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
if anything its going to run worse, and if its leaded, its gonna mess up the o2 sensors and cats

:withstupid: DO NOT use 100LL aircraft fuel in your SS!! (the blue stuff) The name is 100 Low Led, but it actually has more led than the old ledded car gas!. Yes it is 100 octane, but the led will fail your O2 sensors.

Piston airplane engines are overgrown VW bug engines. They are air cooled and have valves and guides that need the led for lubrication and cushoning. Modern automotive (and some retrofitted aircraft) engines are made to use very low led fuel.

DO NOT PUT LEDDED FUEL IN YOUR SS!!

OK, here we go. Octane is there to reduce the chances of detination. It actually slows down the burn rate of the fuel. The more octane there is in the fuel, the less stuff there is to burn. the less stuff there is to burn, the less power you have! If you have a dyno shop around, go ask them. They will show you that if an engine that was designed to run on low octane is fed with high octane, it will make less power.

So why do we need octane at all? With no octane, there would be an explosion in the combustion chamber insted of a controled burn.

Many things go into how much octane we need to stop detination. Compression ratio, timeing, chamber design..... The SS was built for 91 octane fuel. This will most likely give you the most power. If you put in lower octane fuel, the knock sensors will hear detination and retard the timeing, thus giving you less power. Too much octane will also reduce power (as shown above). so, run what gives you the best power.

That is the short of it!

Please correct me if any of my statements are wrong. I am not an engineer, just a part time mechanic with a HUGE intrest in making things go fast

Got to run, My wife is in the shower, and I want to watch the show!

sorry about the spelling

Chad

FalconPilot:

Thanks for the warning on leaded fuel; :thumbs: I’ll be sure to check if this 100-octane stuff is unleaded or not before I try it. I am at a ¼ tank tight now and I just may make it till Saturday before having to fill up. No way am I going to drop $100 on a full tank I’ll just try a ¼ and see what the difference is, I am already sure that it is definitely not worth the price. :sick:

I am already sure that it is definitely not worth the price

Darric,

If that's the case then just send me the money instead and don't waste it on gas that is not going to make any difference. :D

Archived