Is Everyone Using High Octane Fuel

atomsite

Speaking of engine differences, how was Chevy getting 395HP out of the Silverado SS concept version, and now we only have 345 (poor us, LOL). If I recall, even the concept engine had a 10:1 compression ratio. Where were they getting the extra 50 HP from?

Thanks. :confused:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

calisapo:

I can’t remember where I read this but I think the concept SS got it’s extra power from modified cylinder heads taken from a corvette LS6 engine which increases the compression ratio and improves airflow, and a different camshaft, together this increased the horsepower by 50h.p.

May be a good route to go for those looking for more power in the SS. :thumbs:

The owners manual says you can use lower grade fuel. To paraphrase: "lower grade fuel can be used but will reduce performance. If the fuel causes knock and ping use the next higher grade fuel."

I personally use premium, but I would guess that middle grade would be sufficient. I would never use the cheap shite.

It looks like the SS got the Caddy engine.

I believe Kalifornia has 91, 89 and 87 octane fuel available for the most part. They stopped selling higher octane a long time ago.

What octane rating does the Owner's manual specifically identify? Does it specify a minimum number?

Actually AZ does have over 91 octane but only at a few places

That might be but I have never seen over 91 in all the stations I have stopped at. I guess it doesn't make any difference as mine runs fine on 91 so anything higher is just wasting money (for me anyway). :P

Lee:

The gas station at the pavilions does have 100 octane for sale. I use to put it in my motorcycle all the time, because it was only 5 gallons. My pockets aren’t deep enough to waste money burning 26 gallons once a week. :crazy: I am planning on going to the pavilions this Saturday so I am going to fill up with the good stuff and see if I can burn out the crap 87 octane I used a couple tanks ago. :nonod: And see if it makes any difference on gas mileage and performance. :)

Archived