HOW-TO: Drain and Refill Your Transfer Case

misterp

My truck is at the dealership right now getting the seal replaced were the drive shaft comes into the transfer case. I asked them to fill it back up with Autotrack II and they refused too. They said that our transfercase is heat activated and Autotrack is for ones with motors in them. :confused: They said there would be problems later with it 'guming' up. Anyone have any comments? I'd trust you all over my dealership anyday.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My truck is at the dealership right now getting the seal replaced were the drive shaft comes into the transfer case. I asked them to fill it back up with Autotrack II and they refused too. They said that our transfercase is heat activated and Autotrack is for ones with motors in them.  :confused:  They said there would be problems later with it 'guming' up. Anyone have any comments? I'd trust you all over my dealership anyday.

thanks MrP, great info ..hello to everyone, my first post ..Im very happy to find this site.. :cheers: I have the same question :confused: I have a growl in my transfer case at 20 to 45,, brought it in to chev and they said change the transfer case oil with trans dextron 3.. service guy ask a coulpe of there pros and they said go with dexron 3.. my last truck was a 2000 chevy Z71 with 275 000 KM with the automatic trans case.. when i changed the oil in the trans case they said Auto trax 2 .. i have the bottle of auto trax in front of me and it says ,, Withstands extended high temperture operation & improved.oxidation resistance.. sounds like it should be better.. :banghead: i think i better just do what they say, because if the noise dosnt go away and I need warnty work, and they pull it apart and find blue oil instead of red .. who knows how much it will cost .. thanx ahead of time

thanks MrP,  great info ..hello to everyone, my first post ..Im very happy to find this site..  :cheers:  I have the same question :confused: I have a growl in my transfer case  at 20 to 45,, brought it in to chev and they said change the transfer case oil with trans  dextron 3..  service guy ask a coulpe of there pros and they said go with dexron 3.. my last truck was a 2000 chevy Z71 with 275 000 KM with  the automatic trans case.. when i changed the oil in the trans case they said Auto trax 2 .. i have the bottle of auto trax  in front of me and it says ,, Withstands extended high temperture operation & improved.oxidation resistance.. sounds like it should be better..  :banghead: i think i better just do what they say, because if the noise dosnt go away and I need warnty work, and they pull it apart and find blue oil instead of red .. who knows how much it will cost .. thanx ahead of time
Hi, welcome to the forum :thumbs: First, make sure that the noise you are hearing is in fact the transfer case, more than likely what you are hearing is the front differential which are notorious for eating bearings. :( The factory fill on the NVG149 transfer case is Dexron-III, however the Auto Trak II fluid is *far* superior (and expensive) and was designed specifically for transfer case use in other GM AWD products where ATF was shown to be inadequate. There is no way that Auto Trak II fluid will worsen your transfer case, but I completely understand your choice to avoid confrontations with the dealer while you are going through the dealership diagnosis process; I would not hesitate to continue using the Dex-III until the cause of your running gear noise is found and fixed, I would recommend that you change the ATF much more frequently than 50K-miles though, as a suggestion I would change the transfer case ATF at the same time you change transmission ATF (20K-miles or annually whichever comes first).

Mr. P. :)

• 2 months later...
Hi, welcome to the forum :thumbs: First, make sure that the noise you are hearing is in fact the transfer case, more than likely what you are hearing is the front differential which are notorious for eating bearings. :( The factory fill on the NVG149 transfer case is Dexron-III, however the Auto Trak II fluid is *far* superior (and expensive) and was designed specifically for transfer case use in other GM AWD products where ATF was shown to be inadequate. There is no way that Auto Trak II fluid will worsen your transfer case, but I completely understand your choice to avoid confrontations with the dealer while you are going through the dealership diagnosis process; I would not hesitate to continue using the Dex-III until the cause of your running gear noise is found and fixed, I would recommend that you change the ATF much more frequently than 50K-miles though, as a suggestion I would change the transfer case ATF at the same time you change transmission ATF (20K-miles or annually whichever comes first).

Mr. P. :)

While I was at the Chevy service department the other day, I was BS'ing with the tech and told him that I do a lot of my own work. I told him I was changing the transfer case lube the next weekend. He told me (in front of the service manager) to be sure to use the blue stuff (AutoTrak II). I told him I had already bought it. :thumbs: It continues to show that you can't even get consistent information from the "source".

• 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Great post. I went to do my case this weekend. Looks like the dealer stripped my fill bolt pretty good. Any idea to the part ##?

How the hell did they manage to do that?! Make sure the threads in the case are not fubar'd. The drain bolt is dealer-only, canadianVRss is right if you use the wrong bolt for the fill plug the metals may corrode badly.

Mr. P.

How the hell did they manage to do that?! Make sure the threads in the case are not fubar'd. The drain bolt is dealer-only, canadianVRss is right if you use the wrong bolt for the fill plug the metals may corrode badly.

Mr. P.

I read that in your post. I have no idea. Just the head is slightly rounded. I am not gonna touch it untill. I get a replacement.

• 2 years later...

Archived