Intercooler Heat Exchanger Upgrade

I shoulda been your neighbor, Dave. For many reasons but especially watching you install all your mods yourself. I'm pretty handy with my hands but apparently not as much as your are. Can't wait to see the snaps.

You also mentioned the fans and your inter-cooler. Has anyone read about the new Lightning for 05? The SVT team has combined the inter-cooler and the A/C system of the vehicle to generate even colder air going into the engine. I forgot how many extra HP the generated but it was substantial. In hind-site that seems like a no brainer but nobody has done that (that I am aware of) until now.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, here are the final pics of the install:

I gotta admit, I like seeing the heat exchanger luking behind the lower grill :D Now I need to make some ducting to keep air from flowing around, rather than through the heat exchanger

HPIM0635.JPG

Here you can see the fans and the bracket that stabilizes things

HPIM0652.JPG

Not much room between the brush guard and the fans. It was a real pain getting those bolt back in after the heat exchanger was mounted :( .

HPIM0650.JPG

Here is a close up how the fans are attached to the heat exchanger.

HPIM0648.JPG

Not much clearance between the clip and the front of the heat exchanger.

HPIM0637.JPG

Hard to see, but there is not much clearance between the frame and the heat exchanger.

HPIM0639.JPG

I had to carve off part of the brush guard to allow clearance for the fans.

HPIM0655.JPG

• 1 year later...
Do you think there would be better airflow if you removed the plastic shield?

I haven't had mine on all year long. Anyone know why is it there in the first place?

It might help airflow some, but I am sure it is there for a reason (remember, we are talking about GM, the guys who got rid of the underhood light and passenger side keyhole to save a buck). I suspect it keeps mud and dust off the lower part of the engine. It may also help create a low pressure area on the back side of the radiator, to help keep air flowing through the grill and out under the truck.

How heavy is that plastic shield??

It is pretty light. Less than a pound.

Thought I would start a thread on this and add pics as I go.

Now I just have to figure out how to mount the thing.  I am glad it has those big tabs on top and some holes on the bottom panel.  In the other pic, you can see the plastic "buttons" that must mount to something on a Lightning.  After I figure out how to mount it, I need to make some ducting to keep the air coming in the lower grill from going around the heat exchanger.

HPIM0604.JPG

Dual electric fans  :cool:  Just need to figure out how to activate them.  It is easy enough to have them on all the time, but I would like to shut them down at highway speeds.

HPIM0601.JPG

everytime I see these pictures all I have to say is "schweet"!

• 7 months later...

Archived