HOW TO Sub Box

SSplaytoy

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well i started for the most part. It is so damn cold that i did a HOT MIX and it is taking forever to dry. I did a tester first on something different just to see how it reacted to the cold. As of now i cant do a full contore of the back because of the weather so i am doing outside of the truck but it is fitting pretty well. Only did one side so far just to make sure. I will finish the other side later but i think i'm going to wait till nicer weather to really do a full glass of the back. I have a few pics but going to wait till the finished product as long as it work :banghead: Thanks for the info so far as well :cheers:

gots another question for ya or whoever has fiberglassed before. Right now i have both sides glassed and sealed. I used 100% polyester fleece to stretch out over the edges before i even started to glass. As of right now i have the fleece on the bottom glassed and fiberglass Mat on the inside as a layer ( its the kind that frey's when you pull it apart) It is pretty sturdy right now but should i use more MAT to put down for other layers or can i use the fleece again, or do I just keep on adding layers of the fiberglass mix? That MAT is such a PITA because it gets everywhere and this is why i ask. And it is coming along pretty decent for a first timer, especially not being able to do it inside the truck for the exact fit.

I didn't even use fleece. I put in the wood frame and used the nasty messy mat. Then I just tore pieces of it. layed resin, then the mat, and resined on top of that. I didn't stretch fleece across the floor so I could get the good contour of the grooves to help hold the box from shifting at all even though it is seriously heavy. I did at least 4 thick layers with mat. The hairs do go everywhere and stick to you. I guess I got used to it. It doesn't itch that bad unless you are sanding it. Your truck is gonna smell for a few weeks too. The little hairs will vacuum up or blow away eventually with the windows down.

Did you take the seat out? I hope. It would make it way easier. You aren't getting an exact fit because you stretched fleece across it.

yeah the seat is out, i used the fleece because i wasnt able to actually fiberglass in the truck. It is to cold to do it so i am doing it outside of the truck for now. I will make a new box when its warmer but for now it is fitting fine althought it isnt contoured to the floor exactly, i was just curious to how many layers i needed with the fleece being used as the bottom layer. I guess we'll see what happens after i go get more MAT and lay it down.

I also noticed with the MAT that a few air bubbles got underneath it while it was curing, wasnt there before i know that, should i just keep laying MAT then go over it all in the end or should i sand out the bubbled area's first so its flat?

When you do fleece, you are supposed to stretch it and lay down a layer or two of resin only. Then start using mat on top of that with resin. The bubbles aren't that big of a deal if they are inside the box. If you want just take a screwdriver or something sharp and just tear out the bubble and glass over it. I would shoot for about 3/8 of inch thick floor or about 1/2 inch. I used about 3 gallons of resin and 5 yards of mat to give you an idea.

basically i stretched the fleece on the outside of the box. Layed down a nice coat of resin then used the MAT on the inside part of the box. I'm goin to lay a few more layers of MAT to the inside and maybe do one on the outside of the fleece. It is very sturdy right now so i dont think i will have any problems. Thanks for the tips so far and hopefully soon this crap will be done

:cheers:

IMO you should have just done a wood bottom if it isn't contoured to the floor.  Way easier.

yeah i know, i didnt plan on not being able to do it in cab like i first wanted to so oh well, at least i now have some what of a clue on how to fiberglass so when it gets warmer it'll be a lot easier, plus i really didnt feel like making anymore cuts to the MDF

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived