Ford HD wanted to play

ctrow

I think you can safely run a 100 sho wet system on your truck right now. The consensus is that a 150 shot is the edge. If you want more, forged pistons and new rods are in order. The crank is pretty strong, but the rod bolts are a weak link. But believe me, with good bolt ons and a 100 shot (maybe 125 at the track ;) ) you'll be plenty fast. If you spray off the line, its a huge rush when the truck takes off like a bullet. Oh yeah, I wish I was driving MN C5s truck everyday.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what I've heard too. 100-125 is about the right amount for stock.

I want to do heads, cam, full exhaust first. I know nitrous will give me instant power but I want to do all the time power. Besides after spending money on heads/cam, a nitrous kit will seem like a drop in the bucket.

On the subject of heads, would it be worth it to get LS6 heads or just port the stock heads? I've been looking at ARE's.

That's what I've heard too. 100-125 is about the right amount for stock.

I want to do heads, cam, full exhaust first. I know nitrous will give me instant power but I want to do all the time power. Besides after spending money on heads/cam, a nitrous kit will seem like a drop in the bucket.

On the subject of heads, would it be worth it to get LS6 heads or just port the stock heads? I've been looking at ARE's.

hmm I would go with LS6 heads because thats what the SS cocept regular truck was using.

Might as well copy the Engineers dont u think? . :)

(ctrow @ Jul 24 2003, 10:44 PM)

Personally, I would not spend a fortune on heads. A stage 1 set would be more than enough. In order to take advantage of stage 2 or 3 heads, you'd really need to be running a pretty big cam, with high lifts. But running a big cam means your power would really come on above 5500 rpms and you'd need to shift in the mid 6000s, thats not where I'd want my daily drivers power band. Plus, you'd be giving up lots of power in the very low rpms (1000-2500 range). Thats just where you spend most of your time in a daily driver.

I've used a set of ARE heads on a project recently. They were pretty good, but over priced. Take a look at one of these shops:

TEA

Absolute Speed

Patriot Performance

JPR

(Ultimate @ Jul 25 2003, 01:19 AM)

hmm I would go with LS6 heads because thats what the SS cocept regular truck was using.

If you do the numbers on the Reg cab concept, you can tell that GM used a standard LQ4, not an LQ9. It has 10.8:1 compression, but is using LS6 heads milled .030, would make waaaayyy over 11:1 compression on an LQ9. I'd stick with 6 liter heads, because they are much cheaper and you could keep the compression ratio at a decent number.

(ctrow @ Jul 24 2003, 11:07 PM)

Yeah it almost got ugly. 

Yeah, that what I was thinking too. :D

As for the Harley trucks, here is a little bit of advise. Race them when it is hot. Thats it.

You can figure that a Harley, or Lightning will run 1/2 second slower when it is hot. Thus, when you consider that a stock Harley can run 14.4-14.8, and add 1/2 second, it is easy to see how a SS could beat one in the heat.

Supercharged engines, intercooled or not, are affected by heat much more than N/A ones.

If you want to race an HD, dont race them from a roll, if you arent going from a stop, you will have no chance. The advantage this truck has is in the 60' and if you dont use it, there is no point in trying, your gonna look really bad and go home dissapointed if you try to race one from a roll. use the great traction to your advantage

SSilverado60,

with all the mods you have, you are telling us that you would not try the Harley F150s? Interesting. When I put the underdrive pulleys and the E-fans on the truck, of course with the Hole I cut (McGyvering got to me, sorry) into the bottom of the intake box, and Flowmasters with Xpipe, it seems to me that truck is significantly faster in the passing speeds. ( I also like the way the front end lifts and drops when I gun it and let off!)

I haven't had anyone try me... and of course with no G-tek or dyno to show times...

Being new to the trucking, and coming over from a modified C5 vette, I am trying to get a good grip on where we stack up before I go "flapping my lips. :D "

Thanks for the info.

Archived