bumper bracket mod

Jonmalibuss

Ok the first pic is of the left side bracket which would be on the right if you are facing the front of the truck.

772146_217_full.jpg

This pic is of both brackets if you were to face the front of the truck and take the front bumper straight off then lay it face down this is the position your brackets would be in.

772146_214_full.jpg

Here is a pic with a silver line drawn on the bracket where I cut the bracket. The tab on the left side of the pic sticking up usually goes under a tab that comes off to the inside of the frame rail. the other tab goes on the top of the frame rail.

772146_215_full.jpg

Here I have removed that clip after you cut the bracket you will want to reinstall this clip in the opposite direction because the bracket will now be going on top of the tab to the inside of the frame instead of under it.

772146_216_full.jpg

Here is another pic of the bracket from the bottom marked where to cut.

772146_218_full.jpg

Just a little advise comming from a fabricator... I reccomend drilling atlease a 1/2" hole to make a radius in the corner where the two lines meet 90* this way you don't cause a point for the brackets to stress and crack. Then smooth all edges and repaint that part of the brackets.

Now for the spacers the lower/inside mounts I made some 1/8" aluminum spacers that are 1 1/2" in diameter with a 1/2" hole through the center and I used the factory bolt going back into the factory clip on the bracket which I flipped over.

The higher tabs/on top of the frame rails I made the same diameter spacers also with a 1/2" hole they are 3/4" thick. I got longer hardware for these mounting locations.

Then bolt the brackets back to the bumper but leave them slightly lose on the bumper. This is for final adjustment. Then bolt the bumper brackets with the bumper back into place line up side to side and make sure it is as straight as possible then tighten the bolts to the frame. then step back and take a good look at the bumper from all angles and make minor adjustment with the bolts that hold the bumper to the brackets, as the factory leaves the holes plenty big for this exact reason.

Could you post a pic of the whole assembly when it's all done, or is it somewhere you can't see it when it's all together? I want to do this mod but having a hard time picturing all of the spacers and such. Thanks, this is an awesome mod!

I'll see if I can get my camera up in there to get a pic.

good work as always jon, maybe i can get a couple spacer from you to raise the bumper up a little on the SS. did you ever get it to sit completely flush ?

I still have some minor adjustment to do because the bracket on the frame was bent a little from the accident but it's very close.

Here are some pics of the spacers they arent very good because it's not easy to take pics up behind the bumper the first one is the taller spacer on the top of the frame rail and the second on you cant really see because it's only 1/8" but it's the lower one to the inside of the frame rail.

772146_219_full.jpg

772146_220_full.jpg

Also the very outer braces that go to the body mount bracket on the frame do not need any modification there is enough slop from the factory that they will bolt right up.

Thanks, man! I will do this mod as soon as time allows. Moving this week but hopefully soon after that. I was thinking about getting new brackets to modify so I can have it all ready ahead of time.

Good deal man just need to find something to use as spacers unless you have access to a lathe

• 8 months later...

jon, i have access to a metal band saw and a bridgeport at my work. think i can do it? i have some inch and 1/4 Stainless at work too, is this too small? also can you give me some pictures of the spacers them selves? im kind of curious to knwo what im going to be making, basically a think washer for the front and a large washer in the back

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived