Kenne Bell vs Whipple

dcairns

So nobody has even gone over to the Kenne Bell website to read up on their approach?

I called them,Kenne Bell; and they blew me off. "nope, we dont make one for the SS., goodbye"

IMHO< goodye and FU Kenne Bell

The whipple people tialed to me for a few minutes, said they needed to get their hands on an SS to be sure the escalade kit would fit. Then they would sell me a kit

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After talking with superchargeronline.com, they contacted Whipple who mentioned the same results. Whipple should work, since its the same engine as the escalade, but, tuning will be slightly different, as well as the installation will need minor modifications. They claim 450hp. To get the results needed, I see 500 as a minimum. (air/exhaust/chip a given)

100% compatibility and high 12's would be nice.

Anyone have any 1/4mile times with SC's?

I have heard a lot of good stuff about the Magnacharger Radix. When I am ready to buy one I will buy a Magnacharger Radix. They put out more hp and toque than any one else. :fume:

• 2 weeks later...
Why did you end up choosing magnacharger over whipple?  Performance?  Price?  Convience? :confused:

I was pretty much settled on the Whipple, then I gave the Magnacharger a good look and decided I liked it better. I had not given the Magnacharger much consideration the first time around because (at the time) their website was awful, and they did not answer my email inquiry. Some of the reasons I choose the Magnacharger over the Whipple:

-Intercooler.

-Better fuel management. Uses larger injectors in stock positions.

-Re-programs existing computer rather than fooling it with an auxiliary computer.

-3 year 36,000 mile drive train warranty available.

-Many after market companies choose it over the Whipple (Lingenfelter and Chapman SuperTrucks).

-A supercharger just looks better sitting on top of the engine like this.

I still think the Lysholm twin-screw is a better technology than the roots, but the package from Magnacharger seems to be better designed.

I have run across some people who say the Whipple really poops out in hot weather. This is to some degree the nature of forced induction, and shows one of the Whipple's weakness - no intercooler. I do find it interesting that every factory supercharged car or truck I can think of, does have an intercooler, regardless of whether they are twin screw or roots.

There are also some questions about Whipple's idea of running fuel in the stock intake manifold that is designed to run dry.

Was this the best decision? Who knows, there is little empirical data out there to compare one supercharger against another, just lots of opinions. Few people have had more than one kind supercharger on the same vehicle to be able to compare them. And I guess it depends on how you want to measure the results. Dyno? 1/4 mile time? towing performance? "fun factor" in daily driving? For instance, a centrifugal blower may be able to produce a better 1/4 mile time, but not be as fun for daily driving because it works best at higher RPMs. The only real data point I have a to compare will be the 1/4 mile times, so I will be comparing those. But drag racing is not what I got a supercharger for. Daily driving "fun factor" is more what I am after. The 1/4 mile time just gives me a standard measurement that others can relate to.

So far, I am happy with my choice, the low end performance is great and gives the kind of performance I think the SS should have come with in the first place.

I was under the impression that the magnacharger was an anvanced form of a roots system, basically acting like it is twin screws. :confused: Whipple has also announced they are coming out with an intercooler. As far as the warranty? If you ask whipple they go into the legal jargon of saying it does not void factory and a dealer would have to prove that it did.

I know you would not have wanted to wait, but doesn't the whipple have a bit more power?

Twisterss-

They guts of a twin screw and twisted lobe roots may look similar at first glance, but they operate on very different principles. The Magnacharger is still a roots type blower, it uses twisted the lobes to reduce pulsing.

I had also seen that Whipple was coming out with an intercooler, but I did not want to wait, for what could be a couple of years and I could not get a straight answer from them as to whether the intercooler could be retrofitted to existing kits.

All the supercharger makers like to quote the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act, but it is my understanding that, it is not difficult for a auto maker to deny a warranty claim. For instance, if my transmission blew out, it would be fairly easy to blame the supercharger (in court or arbitration), and deny warranty coverage for the transmission failure. That is where the add on warranty from Magnacharger offers some peace of mind. The biggest benefit of the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act is that they cannot deny warranty claims that are unrelated.

Yes, I would have bought it from the factory with a supercharger!!! Especially if it included forged pistons and rods, etc. :chevy:

Whipple has also announced they are coming out with an intercooler.

I believe whipple is only introducing or is already manufacturing an intercooler for the 8.1 liter engine only. For now anyways. The whipple kit for the 6.0 SS engine brings up the power from 345 to 450 flywheel h.p.. Respectively bringing the torque from 380 to 550 ft/lbs. This is what I was told. Of course all performance part companies are known for overshooting power increase. I intend on sending my SS to whipple before taking delivery and rolling the whole price into financing. Should be a few more weeks. :thumbs:

I have been trying to do as much research as possible in comparing the two sc's. But, i do think they are coming out with an intercooler for 6.0. have called them and left a message. hope to get an answer soon. :D The nice thing about thing about whipple is that they make a supercharger for the 4.2 inline six that the trailblazer has. :chevy:

schmidty77-

Whipple already has the intercooler for the 8.1

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/produc...asp?ProdID=1138

and on their "coming soon" page, they announced "Automotive Intercoolers", note the plural.

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/produc...sp?comingsoon=1

As to what vehicles the intercoolers will be available for, I don't know. I never did get a straight answer on that one.

When I was doing my research, Whipple had told me they were getting 470 HP at 5lbs boost, out of the Escalade (same motor that we have). A 37% improvement over stock (they said 40%, typical marketing "round up"). I would tend to believe the 450-470 HP number is possible and not an exaggeration. I guess I will know for sure when I get my track time with the supercharger.

It will be interesting to compare notes on how our different superchargers affect performance. I am sure others contemplating superchargers will be interested too.

Some good places to read up on supercharging are

http://www.superchargersonline.com/forum/

the "forced induction" and "truck performance" sections of

http://www.ls1tech.com/

Kenne Bell has some interesting opinions in his FAQs

http://www.kennebell.net/faq/faqhome.htm

And don't be afraid to call the manufacturer and ask lots of questions. If they don't have the time to answer your questions before the sale, what makes you think they will answer your questions after you buy one and have a problem?

Thanks for all the links, Dave. :thumbs:

As to your statement, "If they don't have the time to answer your questions before the sale, what makes you think they will answer your questions after you buy one and have a problem?" God, how true is that! I have not purchased products in the past for that very reason.

schmidty77-

It will be interesting to compare notes on how our different superchargers affect performance. I am sure others contemplating superchargers will be interested too.

Right. Still playing this waiting game as we all have except for those that walked into your dealer and picked one off the lot. The closer it gets the more insane with anticipation I get! As for comparing e.t.'s..... That may be a little tough for me because as you have noticed I live in Reno, NV which is at about 4500 ft. elevation. My house is on the outskirts at about 5000 ft. The only track to run at is a once in awhile thing in a little town called Fallon at about a low of 4200ft. This is another reason to supercharge. Fending off oxygen robbing elevation! I'll have to run over to Sacramento to get the 14 flat that I want.

Just ran across this tid bit over at ls1tech.com. A user got this response from Whipple on the intercooler:

The intercooler will be a very good addition to our s/c kit for those

vehicles, as they sit now they don't need an intercooler but there will

definitely be a power increase when the intercooler is available in about a

1 to 1 1/2 months.

Thanks

Mike O'Lane

Whipple Superchargers

559-442-1261

559-442-4153 fax

www.whipplesuperchargers.com

[email protected]"

The full thread if you are interested

Dave,

you know when I was telling you about how my Whipple not making near as much power as it should have. I said that even if it is a more efficient blower, hot air is hot air and an intercooled charger will make more power than the whipple. Well, I guess you proved that fact with your recent intercooler pump issue. Without the intercooler, your Magna was about equal to the Whipple. Thats what the whipple would have felt like had you bought it.

Archived