schklege's SS (finally)

schklege

Okay, this has taken forever, but thanks to Ben I finally have pictures to show. You will note that I don't have an original thought in my mind--I just mimic what I like!

The first one shows the blue Line-X. The Line-X folks missed the color rather badly so I had the local paint shop put a coat over top. You'll see some scuffs where cinder blocks took off the Arrival Blue to reveal the baby blue underneath (yes, I actually use my truck as a truck--also note the dent in the left wheel well).

Ss1.jpg

Pic of the Checkmate FX; note the "polished" quick-release hinges (I couldn't stand the rough-edged black look as they came):

Ss2.jpg

Giovanna Genoas (thanks Lee!) with Baer Eradispeed +1 brakes. These brakes come with brackets that move the factory calipers out to accommodate the larger rotors. I painted the calipers yellow--I just like the way they look with the blue truck (though someone pointed out that this has created Michigan colors--not so good for a Buckeye!). I might add that the right rear rotor has cracked in two places--Baer is overnighting a replacement as I type this. The other three are fine.

Ss3.jpg

Carriage Works billet grilles; these are the overlay type. I painted the chicken wire factory grille with a black epoxy primer to help it disappear. Front license plate still mounted under the front seat where it belongs.

Ss4.jpg

Magnacharger Radix by Lingenfelter (Yank converter also, but nothing to see):

Ss5.jpg

Side view that shows the wheels and brakes:

Ss6.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:thumbs:

Looks sweet man!

Those wheels look even better on a blue truck

(that was just to get Lee's goat)

Are those 20s or 22s?

I like the Toneau cover, nice and clean

Were those high res pics originally. I see lines like that when I shrink large pics. You can get around that.

Sheldon, that thing is out f****** standing. Way to go, dude. :thumbs: Man, you have some great modes there and what a total package that has turned out to be. It was worth the wait just to see it. I am SOOOOO jealous of your s-chgr. :P

Those wheels look even better on a blue truck

Play nice. I know where you live 2dr. :D

PS They are 22" as that style wheel only comes in 22" and 24"

Damned if it doesn't look just like this. :cool:

BlueSS.jpg

Well....being the main guy that gave you grief about not posting some pics, after you had done so much to it, I felt it was my job to help out.

And...being one of the first to be able to look at the pics, all I can say is WOW. You've only had that thing for a short while and it has come a long way. Everything looks outstanding and top notch. You get the current award for "most improved truck." Keep going! Nothing more fun than making it yours :thumbs:

I was surprised you didn't take a pic of that GPS thingy (thingy - seems to be the term of the week :D ) sitting on your dash, but maybe next time, huh? :D At least, that looks like a Garmin GPS unit, kind of hard to tell.

-Ben

Thanks for the responses, guys. I've spent a stupid amount of money and time getting this truck to where I want it to be, and sometimes I just stop and wonder, "Why am I doing this?" I've never done any real mods to previous vehicles, but the SS just seems to possess me. Fortunately (or unfortunately), one of my employees is a car nut (has won nationally with his '62 Bel Air) and has a lift--otherwise I would have given up long ago, I'm afraid. He has made the difference in the "cleanness" of all the work (spot-welding and softening the tonneau, polishing the hinges, POR work on the heavily rusted underside pieces, painting the calipers, etc.).

Answers to questions:

2dr Tahoe: The Giovannas are 22s, as Lee has already pointed out. And yes, these were apparently humongous pics originally (5 megapixels, whatever that means) that I destroyed BenKey's mailbox with. I subsequently reduced them to 30%. I would be very interested in the fix.

Goodfella: I bought the Checkmate direct from the factory here in the U.S. You might be able to do the same in Canada. But you'd better have a business address to ship it to--it comes in a crated box the size of Vermont.

blackhawk: the new brakes look great, but I can't honestly say that I've felt a major difference in performance, even with ceramic pads (certainly not a felt change like adding the scharger).

BenKey: yeah, it's a GPS thingy--Garmin with a color screen. I can't figure out what to do with it for a clean install (any ideas?), so for now it sits on the dash with its sandbag base. I would really like to mount it in the overhead console, but it's a little too big and I'm a little too much of a scaredy-cat to start cutting.

Thanks again, Ben, for your patience in getting these pictures posted. You walked me through the process in a gentle way.

Archived