Shaved Tailgate

Jonmalibuss

I got bored so I figured I would post pics of when I did Chase's tailgate and a lil how to.

First strip out the latches/handle be careful with the bezel around the handle the tabs break very easily. Once everything is removed lay out the template that comes with the Sirmicheals relocation kit mark where to cut.

772146_28_full.jpg

Make the cut and then remove and sharp edges with a file or sand paper.

772146_27_full.jpg

The next step is different than what sirmicheals has planned with their undersized patch they provide. They want you to sand the paint down to the base metal fit their patch and MIG weld it in place. Yes it can be done but you will just cause much more body work for yourself in the end and the possibility of cracked body filler and a very wavy tailgate when temps change.

The way I am showing is to make a circle/oval in this case around the stamped area where the handle goes and cut that entire section out.

772146_24_full.jpg

If you have looked at the tailgate closely or driven behind and payed attention to how wavy GM's tailgates really are below the handle this is because of the stamping for the handle as soon as you cut this piece out the tailgate will relaxe and take a natural shape.

772146_26_full.jpg

The idea behind this is if you start with a panel that has no stress in it you will not have as much trouble removing the warpage you will cause from welding.

Next I clean up the hole and sand the edge smooth on the outside and the inside I then shape a piece of sheetmetal in two directions (english wheel) to match the exact shape of the tailgate. You can do this much easier by shaping it in just one direction but this will require more body filler in the end. I then die the steel so I can hold the shaped piece behind the hole and scribe an exact line.

772146_29_full.jpg

Part 2

A little more trimming and fitting and again and again this takes a while to get it exact with no gaps. This is not any certain shape just as long as it's a round shape with no sharp edges or points. A square triangle or any shape other than round will cause more warpage.

772146_30_full.jpg

Finally it fits!

772146_31_full.jpg

Notice I left the paint on the tailgate without sanding it all off this is so that once I start welding (TIG Highly Recommended) I can watch the tailgate warp then I can backup the weld with a dolly and hammer it to strech it back out. Here it is tacked.

772146_32_full.jpg

Check it for warping then hammer out any warpage and then make more small welds or tacks oposite eachother and make sure not to let the surrounding metal get too hot this causes more warpage.

772146_33_full.jpg

Here is the tailgate after hours of welding then hammer and dolly. It is now fully welded and all the warpage is removed. The reason for an exact fit is because you can use much less filler rod and keep the heat much much lower both causing less warpage and making your life much easier in the end.

772146_34_full.jpg

Then sand the weld smooth with the base metal and try to keep heat out of the tailgate while sanding this will also cause warpage.

772146_35_full.jpg

The tailgate is now ready for a skim coat of body filler sand smooth primer then sand smooth and repeat these primer and sand steps untill completely smooth.

Then paint or have painted if you don't have a booth and your done!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the info, that is something I have been thinking about doing for awhile now.  How much you charge to do it?  :cool: So hows about the pics of relocater pics?

Your right the jobs not finshed untill the handle is mounted I will have to take some pics of mine when I disassemble it to have it repainted. The relocater is very easy though the template they giv you for cutting the hole on the inside is just big enough for the reloacter bracket to fit into and then you drill 4 small holes and use their provided sheetmetal screws, or you can do like I did and put inserts into the tailgate and use some stainless button head allen screws.

jon did a great job on this , thanks again jon,

I have the bed carpet kit so i had to modify th epiece that goes on the tailgate but it looks awesome now. ill get some pics for sure.

jon did a great job on this , thanks again jon,

I have the bed carpet kit so i had to modify th epiece that goes on the tailgate but it looks awesome now. ill get some pics for sure.

Good deal but didn't ya say that the night I posted this? :dunno:

• 1 year later...

Archived