question about my new tune

iwineng03ss

Yeah, Jesse definately does use EFI Live. I am just curious about this whole 'locked out' tune business. Just doesn't seem possible from what I know of how a PCM works. You download the calibration into a file so how does the tuning software even know that the stock calibration had been altered? Maybe there is a version number or something attached to it but it still seems odd to me as a computer technician that you wouldn't be able to modify it anyway.

Someday I will be able to afford EFI Live myself (gotta buy an exhaust and efans first) so I can play with this stuff in more detail. Seems to me that a hex editor may be able to reveal what is in the .tun file that may be capable of stopping you from altering it. And if that is the case it should be easy to correct. ;)

:chevy:

Nevermind, just read BenKey's last post as I typed this. Now I think I understand what is going on. Sounds like they don't actually 'lock out' the tune at all. That said I don't think I could justify spending $700 just to be able to buy tunes mail-order. If I had the software I would figure it out myself through trial and error. :crazy:

A tuner can still "lock" the tune. Some will do this to keep their secrets safe and it also forces you to go back to them. If they lock it, it's locked. Doesn't matter which software you have. If they are working with you, make sure they are not locking it.

If I had the software I would figure it out myself through trial and error.

That's what I meant in one of my first few posts.

A tuner can still "lock" the tune.  Some will do this to keep their secrets safe and it also forces you to go back to them.  If they lock it, it's locked.  Doesn't matter which software you have.  If they are working with you, make sure they are not locking it.

If I had the software I would figure it out myself through trial and error.

That's what I meant in one of my first few posts.

i've found that the best for unlocking them is tunercat. i've even been able to use ed wright tunes using tunercat.

i talked to jesse and he doesnt lock his tunes.. or atleast he didnt mine he said so everything is good.. i do still have my stock pcm and now a tuned pcm so let the fun begin!!! jesse is pretty hard to get a hold of so i hope maybe some of the members here that use efi now can help me out!!!

• 5 months later...
i talked to jesse and he doesnt lock his tunes.. or atleast he didnt mine he said so everything is good.. i do still have my stock pcm and now a tuned pcm so let the fun begin!!! jesse is pretty hard to get a hold of so i hope maybe some of the members here that use efi now can help  me out!!!

so how much did it end up costing for the new pcm/tune and the efi?

is efi compatable w/tunercat???

I want a tune, I want to be able to log data, I want to be able to get help from others and update a good tune as I change my truck...

now that I have my shift kit and other first mods I need to get the tune :sigh:

I just read the side by side comparison of the Wait vs Wester tunes and the results were as expected...you get what you pay for.

www.chevytruckworld.com

it was in the silverado 1999-present section...

I was gun-ho untill I read this comparison. NOw I am just waiting out till I can get w/Zippy, the waitforZippy sucks :jester:

oh yea he is waiting for my lazy butt :driving:

I just read the side by side comparison of the Wait vs Wester tunes and the results were as expected...you get what you pay for.

www.chevytruckworld.com

I was gun-ho untill I read this comparison.  NOw I am just waiting out till I can get w/Zippy, the waitforZippy sucks :jester:

you aren't that far away... :jester:

yea, the last all-nighter was hell :crazy:

but it seems there might be a very cool compromise in the works :chevy:

either way I hope o get tune b4 spring...which could be now if this crazy MI weather stays this wild 40's in january

www.chevytruckworld.com

I was gun-ho untill I read this comparison.  NOw I am just waiting out till I can get w/Zippy, the waitforZippy sucks :jester:

Direct Lazy Link for article but I still will get a Zippy even though Jesse lives by me

Archived