question about my new tune

iwineng03ss

whats up guys got my new computer tonight.. i went out driving after i got it installed its definetly different.. i like it!! my question is i was in third and kicked it down and went all the way to 6 grand when it did that the motor acted as if it shut off for a split second.. is it just hitting the rev limiter or is it something else that i should maybe when my efilive gets here mess with?? i really didnt get to drive the truck a whole lot tonight after i put it in but like i said before its like a totally different truck.. now i cant wait to get efilive to play around with!!

i am not sure what the shift points are set at.. i bought a tune from jesse at wait4meperformance.. i did order efilive so i will know then what my shift points are at.. but it does feel like it hits the limiter then comes back to life. my only real complaint is the engine light is on which i am guessing is the cps. which i can also fix i am sure when i get efilive.. just gotta learn how to use it lol.. also the motor cant be hurt if i drive it with out doing the relearn can it?

It's very possible your shift point isn't even set at 6000 rpm it could be set a bit before that say 5800 or so and under certain conditions it will be comanded to shift at 5800 but will see more rpm than that like say going down hill or on a level surface where there is no load on it. This will give you that sensation when you get the shift and it happends to over rev and hit the limiter. It just kinda feels like it falls on it's face.

You should set your rev limiter 2-300 rpms above your highest shift point.

Just curious why you would buy a tune and then turn around and buy the software to do it all yourself? Just seems like money waisted to me, unless he is using the same exact software.

You should set your rev limiter 2-300 rpms above your highest shift point.

Just curious why you would buy a tune and then turn around and buy the software to do it all yourself?  Just seems like money waisted to me, unless he is using the same exact software.

the pcm i bought and the tuner use efilive so i can adjust it.. he gave me a good deal on efilive so i couldnt pass it up.. and my fiance called and said efilive came to the house this morning! so now its time to learn..

What you may be experancing is a 3-1 down shift,if your at a given speed say 65 mph in 3rd gear and you floor it and the computer down shifts to first so the max rpm in first gear at 50 mph is 5900 rpm you would get a nutural feel cause the motor it turning faster than the transmission can catch up to pull.

So that being on a 3 gear down shift you would want the down shift to go to 2 gear only if you speed is above max rpm in first and i would want it to only go to 1st from 3rd if it was 1000 rpm below max Rpm in 1st.

(the mph # and rpms are examples only)

Just curious why you would buy a tune and then turn around and buy the software to do it all yourself? Just seems like money waisted to me, unless he is using the same exact software.

I am thinking of going the same route. In my mind, tuning is a bit complicated for the novice so getting a custom tune from someone who knows what they are doing seems like a perfect starting point. I can then modify and fine tune things a bit more. Plus I want to go with efans in the future and it will save me alot of time and money to be able to turn them on myself. Plus, being a former GM technician, I would love to have the capability to read any future trouble codes that may arise. With EFI Live you get more capability than techs at a GM dealer have.

BenKey, remember how cheap the tunes from Wait4me are to begin with. He only charges $75 if you send him your PCM and $157 if you want him to provide one!! :thumbs:

:chevy:

Only works if he is using the same software.

If I was going that route, I would have gotten the software and downloaded my stock tune, then ordered a tune. That way, I could download the new tune and compare the two to see what changes he made and maybe learn from it.

But, I guess there are stock tunes out there if you know where to go.

That's exactly what I was thinking, I still have a bone-stock PCM to play with. ;)

Does the tuning software somehow lock the PCM so that only that same software can re-alter it? Seems strange that I couldn't use EFI Live if my PCM was programmed with HP Tuners.

:chevy:

You can download the tune using any of the forms of software out there.

The advantage in getting the same software as your tuner would be that he could email you the updated tune, you copy into your program (Flashscan, HPTuners, etc..), then you reflash your PCM. This way, you don't have to keep mailing the PCM back and forth.

If your tuner had HPTuners and you had Flashscan, you won't be able to do that because the programs do not read other's program files. Similar to trying to read a document that was done in Adobe, then trying to read it in MS Word (Although Word may convert it).

The tune is merely a file. If the file is not compatible...... Understand?

Archived