408 power

zippy

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what is it that determines the mileage on one of these motors?  Cam + heads + intake? :confused:

Stroking a LS2/LQ9 to a 408 is kind of a special beast, especially when you use stock-length rods. You lower the rod/stroke ratio a whole 10% (from 1.68 to 1.53) and this means that this particular configuration of 408 breathes very differently because the piston dwells some 8 crank degrees longer at BDC then it used to; the only other engine that has a R/S ratio that low is the 454 BBC. The phasing of the cam matters as well, at what points the valve events are occuring in relation to piston position in the bore. Also, stroking an engine typically lowers the RPM at which peak torque occurs (all else equal) so maybe on the freeway it shows a better bsfc at 2000-2500 rpm?

Zippy - I am really interested in your cam swap findings, especially torque curve and peak.

11.7 on pump gas?  Pretty high.  Sounds like it would be very sensitive to timing changes.  But, I know some have gone 12+.

Depends on where the intake valve closing event is; I'd guess if the cam was installed with the IVC > 46-degrees ABDC it'll bleed off enough cylinder pressure... mwalls54 - would you be willing to share a scan of that cam card?

Mr. P.

if all goes well i'd like to have dyno numbers of the truck in it's current mechanical condition with some tuning time and dyno numbers after the cam and head swap. in it's current state i'd be pretty impressed if it were to put down 400 to the tires.

So what is it that determines the mileage on one of these motors?  Cam + heads + intake? :confused:

Stroking a LS2/LQ9 to a 408 is kind of a special beast, especially when you use stock-length rods. You lower the rod/stroke ratio a whole 10% (from 1.68 to 1.53) and this means that this particular configuration of 408 breathes very differently because the piston dwells some 8 crank degrees longer at BDC then it used to; the only other engine that has a R/S ratio that low is the 454 BBC. The phasing of the cam matters as well, at what points the valve events are occuring in relation to piston position in the bore. Also, stroking an engine typically lowers the RPM at which peak torque occurs (all else equal) so maybe on the freeway it shows a better bsfc at 2000-2500 rpm?

:confused:

the cam card is a little over 4000 miles away from me right now and wont be able to get it untill probably next year. but off the top of my head its in the 220 and 540  range with 114 lsa

What brand of cam?

after having driven this one as much as i did i'd have to say it's possible. it's going to be a bit before i can get it dyno'd. i have to wait until i can get the time off and get it scheduled for a dyno run. the closest awd dyno is about 200 miles away.

I think the CR as it sits right now is more like 10.75:1 going on the assumption that stock GM MLS head gaskets were used and the heads haven't been milled.

cool, good to know. :thumbs:

Archived