Emissions Legal Cam Upgrade?

Wonderful State of California Emissions :banghead:...

Any Suggestions on a cam upgrade that will squeak by?

From what I understand our cam specs are as follows

6.0 LQ9

207/196 int/exh @ 0.05" duration

0.479" / 0.467" int/exh lift

116 LSA

I'm also upgrading to the AFR Mongoose 72cc Heads and the vortech is still coming.

What I found for Our Head Numbers

Stock 6.0 Heads

Chamber 71.0 cc 0.100 0.200 0.300 0.400 0.500 0.550 0.600

Intake 66 142 196 228 236 238 240

Exhaust 59 104 137 155 167 173 177

Valve Diameter Intake 2.00"

Valve Diameter Exhaust 1.55"

I can tell you that back in the F-body world, cams with 220 - 224 degrees duration and 112 + LSA used to routinely pass the California sniffer tests in 5.7 liter LS1's. I would think you could pass with something similar in the LQ9. :happysad:

I called endless speed shops in CA who said that a 220/220 would likely pass smog even without tuning, but definitely with tuning, and a 224/224 might pass with good tuning.

The consensus was, if you are going to get tuned, that a 220/220 was a sure thing.

I think the quick and dirty key for emissions is to keep overlap under control. If you go bigger on duration you should probably go a little wider on lobe separation. I think a 220-112 or 224-114 would work.

Check with some local speed shops with LS1 experience. :chevy:

I'd be more interested in the effect of the aftermarket heads; or do the Mongoose heads have a CARB number?

Mr. P. :)

225cc LS1 Mongoose Strip Head

The Ultimate Bolt-On Emission Legal Street/Strip Weapon

For the maximum street/strip LS1/LS6 aluminum cylinder head AFR’s all new 225cc emission legal head E/O #D250-4 are hands down the best choice. Specifically designed for 1995 to present Gen-3 Chevy Corvettes, Camaros, and trucks. AFR’s LS1 head offers unmatched flow performance and features 2.080 intake and 1.600 exhaust valves with AFR’s iron ductile interlocking valve seats. The 225cc is ideal for normally aspirated 396C.I. to 427C.I. For a wild 346 ci the 225 is a good choice, however some low RPM loss of torque might occur. It is available with 62cc and 72cc combustion chambers. An affordable “as cast” version is also available. AFR’s LS1 is a direct bolt on, no special parts required. Structural features like Air Flow Research’s trademark 3/4” thick head deck, a must for blown and nitrous applications, reinforced rocker stud bosses and thick wall runners provide unparalled durability. An exclusive new modern combination chamber design with double quench pad area helps the LS1 generate huge low and mid lift airflow numbers. If you need a snake charmer for that pesky neighborhood “Cobra Mustang” look no further!

Note:

Hydraulic roller cams in "LS" Gen III engines typically experience valve float at 6600-6800 RPM's. If your plan on running over .600 gross valve lift and/or 6600 RPM, AFR suggest you upgrade your springs to AFR part #8019. Our upgrade spring has higher seat and open pressures (145/390+) to better reduce the risk of valve float in more aggressive applications. AFR also recomends the use of Comp "R" lifters in conjunction with our 8019 spring upgrade.

you may want to look into the xr265hr. just as one suggestion. there are many that you could get away with though.

I checked out the XR265HR by comp cams. Theres a test mule LS1 that made peak numbers right at 6,000rpm with the 265hr, we have a few more cubes and we're not all aluminum, would we see like numbers on LQ9 with a head, TB and MAFF Upgrade?

• 2 months later...
I called endless speed shops in CA who said that a 220/220 would likely pass smog even without tuning, but definitely with tuning, and a 224/224 might pass with good tuning. 

The consensus was, if you are going to get tuned, that a 220/220 was a sure thing.

So would this ability to pass CA smog with a 224/224 114lsa be effected by a radix?

I'm wanting to do a cam swap soon but don't want to do something that will require me to change my setup when I move back to CA...

Any help or advice otherwise would be appreciated.

Archived