160* thermostat

What's everyone's thoughts regarding oil contamination with cooler t-stats?

Im a little too nervous about this to really consider the mod. I know for some in the hotter, drier climates, it's not much of an issue...

I also wanted to note, I had an EC '96 S10 with the 4.3, which seemed to have a cooler t-stat right from the factory. The temp never got over 180*F. Once the outside temps got in the single digits, the heater had a hard time keeping the interior warm. It's not like it was frigid, but it sure wasn't tropical.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are we talking 15 maybe 20 degrees different? I don't see that being a huge diff in how you heater operates. I had the lower stat in my last truck. My wife's car pumped out stiffling heat, mine put out not so stiffling. She never even noticed the difference and she is ALWAYS cold. The only major difference was the time it took to get up to temp, that was it. And even then was only a diff of about 3 minutes.

neither one of your issues is a concern for me. 1-they wouldn't still be selling them if contamination was an issue and 2-it never gets that cold here :)

1st one - wasn't there a problem with the LT1's running too cold with the 160* t-stats?

Here is something very similar to the problem I read about?

That sounds more related to the earlier computer cars, not really the LS1's... but...

I own a few motorcycles, which need to get stored for the winter. I've been told repeatedly that if I choose to start them up every month or so in the winter, that I absolutely need to bring them fully up to temp (they don't have t-stats - the fans kick on at 217*F) and run them there for at least 10-15 minutes, to burn (evaporate) off condensation and contaminents from the oil.

I've been into motorcycles much longer than late model hot-rodding, so it's just something that's been burned into my head over the years.

2nd - :smash: ;)

i run a 160 in everything i own. it was 4 the other day on the way home the other day. it's not quite as warm of heat, but it's workable. as for oil, my only problem i've had with any of them is with the one's with oil coolers. they tend to get a bit of condensation in the oil during the really cold weather, but once it's above 30's or so out it's fine.

Aren't you in FL, Ben? ;)

As it is in these cold 2*F mornings my blower runs at about 1/2 to 2/3 power at 74F-Auto, throughout my 50 minute commute.

I'm in FL now, but in VA when I was talking about my last truck. I don't understand the rest of your post, but you can set it on 90* and manually adjust the speed of the blower to 100%.

• 6 months later...

Archived