160* thermostat

i've also tried this mod more than once, never got it to work properly.

I think that there may be different models of the thermostat out there. The bb didn't fit properly into the housing on the one that came off my SS, but did for the one that came off my '99 GMC. So maybe it's just a year or a model thing. The part number may be the same, but the particular one you have could be different, I guess.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that there may be different models of the thermostat out there. The bb didn't fit properly into the housing on the one that came off my SS, but did for the one that came off my '99 GMC. So maybe it's just a year or a model thing. The part number may be the same, but the particular one you have could be different, I guess.

:withstupid:

I had almost the same as Ben. The one I took out of my '03 SS would not work with the BB mod. But the leftover t-stat from my '00 5.3L Silv worked just fine with the BB mod. Seems like they have different designs of the piston/shaft that pushes the stat open...

btw, I tested both of these in boiling water as BigTex described...

Well, for me, I want to run almost as cool as I can. Heat kills everything and robs horsepower. Being blown and already heating my cylinders up pretty good, I just want it as cool as can be without doing anything negative. A 160* stat will probably only keep you to around 180*. A stock stat, is a 190 or 195, which means temps exceed 200 easily in the summer time. Don't want that. I am more worried about protecting my engine against my driving habits.

Hmm, okay, that makes sense. I guess I was confused because I read that the optimum temp for an engine was 180* (anything more or less than that made for a more inefficient motor = less power), so I was perplexed as to why anyone would want that. So if what you're saying is correct, 180* IS the optimum temp, but you need a 160* stat in order to achieve this. Am I understanding this?????

any problems with not getting heat from the heater after installing a low temp stat.? I'v heard that before, but not sure how true it is. Ya know the winters are pretty darn cold here. :)

I don't think this will work for us hunter!! unless we leave the truck running for 45 min instead of 30 min. when is -10 outside like it was this morning the truck kinda have to run for awhile for heat. But who cares it is only GASOLINE. :D

So if what you're saying is correct, 180* IS the optimum temp, but you need a 160* stat in order to achieve this. Am I understanding this?????

Yes. The 160* rating means it begins to open at 160. Its not fully open until about 175 or so. My engine runs at about 178. I can tune this up or down at least 5* by adjusting the e-fans controller. With a stock fan, I think you'll run between 160 and 180, depending on the weather... :)

the previous days of a 160 stat though are also different in the location of where the temperature sensor is. the further away the sensor is from the stat, the higher the reading of the coolant temp is going to be which is part of the difference.

The sensor is located on the drivers side, It sticks out of the head toward the very front above the plug wire. Has a two-wire connector attached. Had mine out a couple of times already. A PITA to find one if you ever break it, unless you go to the dealer.

Archived