160* thermostat

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Silvsteve, the following is from the GM Silverado Service Manual.

Thermostat

The thermostat is a coolant flow control component. It's purpose is to help regulate the operating temperature of the engine. It utilizes a temperature sensitive wax-pellet element. The element connects to a valve through a small piston. When the element is heated, it expands and exerts pressure against the small piston. This pressure forces the valve to open. As the element is cooled, it contracts. This contraction allows a spring to push the valve closed.

When the coolant temperature is below the rated thermostat opening temperature, the thermostat valve remains closed. This prevents circulation of the coolant to the radiator and allows the engine to warm up. After the coolant temperature reaches the rated thermostat opening temperature, the thermostat valve will open. The coolant is then allowed to circulate through the thermostat to the radiator where the engine heat is dissipated to the atmosphere. The thermostat also provides a restriction in the cooling system, after it has opened. This restriction creates a pressure difference which prevents cavitation at the water pump and forces coolant to circulate through the engine block.

Another newbie type question here. I know the colder the temp, the more efficient the engine runs, but how much of a performance gain is there by swapping the stock 195 thermostat vs a 160 one. It doesn't seem like you would get much of an improvement for the 50 dollar investment. And if there is a bigger gain to be had than I think, why wouldn't GM make the stock thermostat cooler?

Lugor

I think I am going to have to try the BB mod. It's free!

I stand corrected on this post....I have not tested this modification and BigTex advises that he has and that the BB mod does not delay cold warm up.

FYI and not a knock on free.....The BB mod actually just prevents the thermostat from closing completely when cold, duplicating a thermostat that has failed in the stuck partially open position. During warm-up on a cold start, coolant will be circulating through the radiator instead of being stopped by the thermostat, this will increase your warm up time, which will be most noticeable in cold weather climates. This will turn on the SES light on some GM applications (PCM sees too long from start up to coolant temp value in software).

Mcwarren - Thats not right. If you put the BB in the thermostat, it will still close all the way. Try it. I've done my homework here. I took the stock thermostat, placed it in a pan on the stove with hot water and a thermometer. I measured temps when the thermostat first started to open, and when it reached full open. I did this with the BB as well. The stat started to open about 25 degrees earlier than the stock setting did, but it was fully closed before reaching that temp. It will not allow coolant to flow immediately upon startup. It just makes it start opening earlier than GM set it for.

BigTex,

Oops! My Bad! Sorry!! I'll have to defer to you on this one. I have made the following edit of the post in question. I stand corrected on this post....I have not tested this modification and BigTex advises that he has and that the BB mod does not delay cold warm up. Thanks for correcting me on this.

• 5 months later...

fyi, i know it's an old post BUT the bb WILL prevent it from closing all the way on an 03 ss. i know, i just tried to force a bb in to get it to close all the way and it won't. luckily i have an extra stock one. i may be walking to oreilly if they have a hypertech, it's worth the money!!!!!!!!!

Archived