160* thermostat

I wanting to get a 160* thermostat for my ss. i know its a complete water neck. i was wondering what brand every one has been buying and where have they got it from and of course the cheapest is always important.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not purchased a stat as of yet, still working on cosmetic stuff for now. Not sure what others are putting in their vehicles right now but this is one that I use to have that I used with the Hypertech programmer as well. To bad Hypertech does not have the current programmer for the SS yet. :sigh::sleep:

I think this 160 stat would work even without the programmer…

160 Powerstat

Does anyone have a credit card that I can use on that website? Anyone could spend $15,000 easy. I was looking at the Predator reprogrammer. Has anyone tried one of these? I have a Hypertech which I need to get reprogrammed for my SS but the Predator looks better and you can get a package deal with the thermostat for $429.99.

The hood package looks good to.

You can modify your stock thermostat to open sooner, making it a 180 or a 160 degree tstat. Its a free mod, and works fine. You can test it for yourself.

The stock thermostat can be disassembled. By inserting something in the bottom of the housing, it makes the stat open sooner. I plopped an ordinary BB into the hole. It it fully open in the 170 degree range. I'd compare it to a hypertech 160 stat.

To open the tstat, take a pair of pliers and twist off the end while pressing down against the main spring. Its very easy nad only takes a few minutes. Look at the pic:

tstat.jpg

Also, if you use something shorter than a BB, it will open later. Basically making it a 180 degree stat instead of a 160 degree stat. Some have cut about 1/8th inch off the end of a bolt to put into the hole.

One other note. A 160 stat only starts opening at 160. It gets fully open 10 to 15 degrees later. Same thing with a 180 stat. Also, the gause cluster temp doesnt read exactly accurate. Fron autotap, Ive sen as much as 10 degree swings in temp with very little change in the cluster temp dial. Basically, dont ecpect to install a 160 tstat and have yout cluster read 160. Its not going to happen. It will read cooler than stock, but not bu a large margin. Also with the S/C running, temps may be the same as they were before the stock tstat.

Hey BigTex, thanks for the detailed version. :thumbs: I had read about this in a previous thread, but wasn't feeling like something I wanted to try from the description. Now I see it as the first way to go. If I'm not happy from there, then I'll change out. Thanks again.

-Ben

the 160* stat i installed in my 00 silverado that had the 5.3 when it was warm the guage read 180ish. its still better than the 195* factory one. i actually still have my old housing from my 00 that i will try the bb with.

Archived