Honest Lee's Paint and Body Shop

Lee

Hey Gene,

Wow. Thanks for all the nice words. I really appreciate that, buddy. Modding out my rides is my passion. Been doing it since I first got my license. The only difference is that as you get older and earn more $$ you can do more things but I was just as happy with my ride when I was 16 as I am today. Porsche's to pick-ups, it doesn't matter. We live in an assembly line world and that's fine - it keeps the prices down. Only problem with that is that every red SS looks like every other red SS and that's something I can't live with. I need change whatever I'm driving to make it distinctively mine.

That said, I've always gone for the appearance modifications first and performance changes second if I can justify the money being spent (or more accurately, lost). I trade every two or three years and, as you know, mods don't bring a dime back on resale so I just have to come to terms with what I'm willing to lose down the road. I've got around $6,000 in this baby now. If I s-chgr it'll be over $12 grand. That plus the vehicles normal depreciation...........whew!

You asked if I'd s-chgred yet. No. Because of the above cost I'm still debating, Gene. I drove a supercharged SS last week for the first time. To be real honest, I was not that impressed with the flat out punch from a dead stop. I don't know why??? It was fast but for some reason I was expecting more. What WAS fun was giving it about half throttle out of a stop light. It was just "up there" to 60 mph in a heart beat. That would be addicting just like you mentioned with your s-chgred Cobra. I mean, if I was first in line when the light changed I'd be up to 60 without flooring it just because I could. I'd be having WAAAY too much fun! You made a real good point, though. I could care less about drags, too. I don't care about ET's or who's truck is 1/4 of a second faster either. I, like you, think the SS is fast enough. It is a great ride as is so I'll have to sleep on the S/C idea for a while longer. I suuuure did like getting up to 60 so fast, though. :D

I can understand your feelings for the Harley 150. I didn't like it either. Same with the Lightning. Fast but impractical. I hope you decide to get rid of something in your "stable" and get an SS. I swear to God, man, you will LOVE this truck.

Came back to Carefree/Cave Creek/New River area when it's not summer. I promise your C5 won't melt, Gene. :thumbs:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Lee I was so inspired by what you did I just finished painting my grills and brake vents black. My SS is black now the only things that arn't black are the emblems and the wheels. Im thinking of doing the wheels black also just not to sure yet.

Hey, Tim. That sounds really fantastic, buddy. Post some snaps for us, okay?

Here's something you might want to consider. Do you have a silver bowtie? If so, take some black tape and mask off the inside leaving just a 1/4 inch silver border around the outside. It's an old photographers trick. By masking first with tape you can step back far enough so the tape is not really visable and see how a silver edged bowtie would look. Personally, I think it would be stunning but see if you like it

BTW - This would NOT be a good idea with a gold bowtie. It wouldn't look as good.

As to the wheels black. I know you didn't ask for my opinion so I will walk VERY softly here. I'd think REAL long and hard about that, Tim. I think you will ruin your ride. Black on black is okay but leave some silver or chrome for contrast. JMHO you understand.

Can't wait to see the photos, buddy. :thumbs:

Thanks Lee Im going to try the Bowtie thing I think that would be nice I have a gold one but will get the polished one. The wheel thing im not sure about. If I did it I will have a new set on hand, like the ones you have.

Tim,

If you decided to try the black wheel look please don't spray it with black paint. It won't hold up to road grit etc. I would suggest powder coating the wheels. It's very durable and has a fantastic finish. That process is done a lot in motorcycle wheel, frame and control mods.

Can't wait to see everything finished. Black on black is a very cool look. :cheers:

Hey Lee I was so inspired ... Im thinking of doing the wheels black also just not to sure yet.

Hey Tim, I applaud your dare to be different approach! Too many things in life are "cookie cutter" bland. An idea for you to consider with the wheels would be to powdercoat them black, but polish the outer bead (about a quarter inch wide). That might give a nice subtle contrast. Have fun with your ride!

Archived